Unsure if Guest Additions are Installed/Working Properly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DWP

Unsure if Guest Additions are Installed/Working Properly

Post by DWP »

Host OS: Windows 10 Pro
Guest OS: Ubuntu 16 (yes, I know its old)

Just updated VB to Version 7.0.14 r161095 (Qt5.15.2) and no more updates found.

After starting the guest VM, I can see the following in the log:

Code: Select all

00:00:19.927672 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.0.18 r106667 '5.0.18_Ubuntu'
00:00:19.927709 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Interface = 0x00010004 osType = 0x00053100 (Linux >= 2.6, 64-bit)
00:00:19.927845 VMMDev: Guest Additions capability report: (0x0 -> 0x0) seamless: no, hostWindowMapping: no, graphics: no
I have read that this indicates that Guest Additions are installed. I saw nothing else in the log to indicate they were actually in-use. So I turned on bi-directional clipboard and restarted the VM. Didn't see anything new in the log file about Guest Additions. So also enabled bi-directional drag/drop and now see this at the bottom of the log:

Code: Select all

00:04:07.870881 Drag and drop mode: Bidirectional
But if I try to do a drag/drop, I get this message inside the Guest: "DnD: Error: Drag and drop to guest not possible -- either the guest OS does not support this, or the Guest Additions are not installed."

And it does not seem that the clipboard is working either. So are the additions installed/running? What other means are there to know?

Thanks
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Unsure if Guest Additions are Installed/Working Properly

Post by granada29 »

It looks as though your VM is loading a very old version of the GAs. You are running VirtualBox 7.0.14 yest your GAs in the guest are Version 5.0.18 r106667 '5.0.18_Ubuntu'

Try upgrading the GAs and see if that solves your problem.

There is no need to download the GAs separately as they are are already included in your VirtualBox installation.

1. Start the VM
2. Select menu item "Devices/Inset Guest Additions CD image ..." in the VM menubar
3. In your VM mount the disc image and run the installer.
4. Reboot VM after installation/upgrade
DWP

Re: Unsure if Guest Additions are Installed/Working Properly

Post by DWP »

Thanks. This is strange indeed. I updated VB today. VB's About dialog showsVersion 7.0.14 r161095 (Qt5.15.2). The file C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is dated 1/15/2024 @ 2:49PM. It is 53,526,528 bytes. When mounted in Linux, it is shown as VBox_GAs_7.0.14.

Do I have to uninstall the version 5 stuff first? I have no idea where this might have come from as I haven't been using VB anywhere near that long ago. Could it have been included in the original Ubuntu install? It might be that old. I am not sure.

In a root terminal I went to the CD and ran sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run uninstall. Didn't seem like it did much of anything. Then ran it again to do the install. And then followed up by choosing Upgrade GA. Instead of powering down, I logged out and back in. The password seems to still work. So I then shut down Linux and restarted the VM. And now it seems to be working.

Thanks!