Unable to change screen size from 1024 x 768 with High Sierra on VB 6.1.46

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
nerd

Unable to change screen size from 1024 x 768 with High Sierra on VB 6.1.46

Post by nerd »

Hello helpful people,

I am unsuccessfully trying to install MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) on a MacOS Host (currently 10.14. Mojave, to be updated in the future) so I can keep legacy 32-bit apps running.

The host is an iMac15,1 with 4 GHz i7 processor and 32GB RAM, and I designated 4 processors and 10GB of RAM as well as 64MB video-RAM to the virtual machine.
I installed the VB Guest Additions, but the system is really laggy, consumes 80% of CPU, and the worst part is that I cannot resize the screen from the default from 1024 x 768: all options to rescale are greyed out, seamless mode as well, and at full screen it gives me a gigantic black margin around a mini-screen.

What am I doing wrong?
High Sierra-2024-03-26-15-15-43.log.zip
(44.32 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Unable to change screen size from 1024 x 768 with High Sierra on VB 6.1.46

Post by granada29 »

The most recent version of VirtualBox 6.1.x is 6.1.50. Probably a good idea to upgrade from what you have. See https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1

You can set the screen resolution with by setting the EFI video mode: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserM ... efividmode

I suggest you try:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1920x1080
Replace "VM name" with name of your VM, using quotes if the name contains any spaces.

You have probably over-configured your VM
Start with:
2 CPU
4GB RAM
128 MB Video RAM

Full screen is probably not going to work very well - you're pushing a lot of pixels with no hardware acceleration - so don't be disappointed if that doesn't work very well.

You might try enabling Screen Sharing in your VM System Preferences, minimise the VM window, then attach to the VM using native screen sharing. This will give you drag/drop between the host and the VM.

You could also try using the Darwin Guest Additions in your VM but my experience has been that they offer little advantage over native screen sharing.

Good luck!