vb7 is bringing host to halt, guest never boots

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jandressler

vb7 is bringing host to halt, guest never boots

Post by jandressler »

Hey all,
i was going over a lot of searching for the last days as my virtual box is causing me some headaches.
I am running an Ubuntu 22.04 (kernel 6.5.0-25-generic) host with a virtual box 7.0.14 r161095 for a windows 10 64bit guest.
Before switching the hardware some months ago i had a 6.x VB, but i was switching to 7.0.12 as 6.x was unresponsive and cause a lot of issues after some ubuntu updates.
I thought it was running fine with a 7.0.12 for a little while. I had success using it for at least a day.
I need the guest only every once in a while. Now after some days/weeks the guest does not boot anymore. I can see windows-dots at the beginning sometimes, but it also brings the host to stop. Its very unstable, detected as "stopped processes" by the hosts but when you wait long enough it is resuming sometimes.
The guest never comes up - its never showing any screens. I had the situation seeing a black screen which at least catched the cursor. But the next boot was again no successful and even the hosts stopped. No response from mouse/keyboard and even the systemclock on the desktop came to a stop. The log does not show crazy things to me, but it seems even when the hosts stops the VB is actually still running.
I tried reinstalling the guest some time ago, but everything takes ages and never finishes (like the boot); so my guess is its actually not the guest alone causing the trouble.
I experimented with different versions (6.1.50 from ubuntu, 7.0.12 and even the test-built 7.0.15), some settings incl. RAM-size etc, but actually it doesn't change anything.
Attached is the last log of the boot when the host came to a stop and i could only get out by turning the host hard-off. It seems the log was still recording even when the host was unresponsive.
Dont really know what to do.... every advice is appreciated!
thank you
jan
Attachments
VBox.log
(106.36 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: vb7 is bringing host to halt, guest never boots

Post by fth0 »

The VBox.log file is complaining about disk I/O problems on the host.
jandressler

Post by jandressler »

hey,
thank you for the response. I am adding another log file, taken some minutes after the first one.
I am running the host system from an SSD connected via USB - i understand this could cause trouble. The host is running superstable actually and no problems at all for years. Do you have any idea why this causes to much problems in the VB and even what can be done?
thank you
jan
Attachments
VBox.log
(89.86 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
jandressler

Post by jandressler »

hello everyone.
maybe an idea from my side as i still try to fix this and want my virtual box back:
Is it possible that during the start the VB is touching the same USB port my host is booted from which causes the trouble?
Is there a possibility to specifically leave out a port/device? I have not found an option to do this, but i am definitely not an expert on this.
Any help is really appreciated.
Thank you!
jan

edit20240406: i had some time and gave it a try with USB filter. I filtered to "only the devices connected" and left out the usb device which is actually the harddrive the host is running from. pretty much the same, VB directly went to "hold", but it seems its not killing the host.
log attached.
it seems the same even with new boxes. i cans install "fresh", so i think its on the VB, not on the guest. I really dont know how to solve this. please help!

i have some testing time today again so i made another try with "only the usb docking where keyboard and mouse are attached". the VB comes up, the host gets slow/freezes; and then after while VB dies without any error message (just windows closes) and i am back with my host. (also this log is attached)
Attachments
VBox.log
second: only the keybaord-mouse on a docking station
(87.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
VBox.log
first with "only all usb devices, but not the hdd"
(83.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jandressler

Post by jandressler »

hey everyone,
i added more information in the last posts, but it might got out of focus as it was not pushed to the top.
I still don't have a solution for my problem and i can not explain why it was not an issue in the past.
If there is anyone give me a hint what to do, I would be very very thankful.
regards
jan