Error: -5637 [NON-SOFTWARE-RELATED]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VMUnFixed2601

Error: -5637 [NON-SOFTWARE-RELATED]

Post by VMUnFixed2601 »

One random day, I just decided to install VirtualBox on my Windows 11 laptop. However, every time I try to run a VM, I get this error message:
supHardenedWinVerifyProcess failed with:
VERR_SUP_VP_NT_QI_VIRTUAL_MEMORY_ERROR: (rc=-5637)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox

where: supR3HardNtChildPurify what: 5 VERR_SUP_VP_NT_QI_VIRTUAL_MEMORY_ERROR: (rc=-5637) -
Process Verification Failure: Error Query Virtual Memory Information.

Based on other posts, I'd like to say this:
1. I have formatted Windows 11 TWICE, removing all my files, and the issue persists.
2. I have tried reinstalling VirtualBox and any other past versions to no avail.
3. Enabled and Disabled Hyper-V numerous times

So, you can be sure my error is NOT SOFTWARE RELATED. Here is the log:
VBoxHardening.zip
(178.53 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Help would be appreciated.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Error: -5637 [NON-SOFTWARE-RELATED]

Post by fth0 »

The VBoxHardening.txt file indicates that some unknown software invaded the memory space of the VirtuaBoxVM process. If you installed any so-called security software (e.g. AV software), uninstall it for a test, reboot the host and try to start the VM again.
VMUnFixed2601

Post by VMUnFixed2601 »

I already tried that, as stated before. I formatted my laptop, installed ONLY VirtualBox, and it still wouldn't work. I've tried literally everything, removing the Windows Defender, etc. So, this is NOT a so-called security software.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The hint to "so-called security software" was only the most common example to check first.

Looking again into the VBoxHardening.log file, it completely dumped one of the memory areas, and the content seems to belong to a Microsoft software documented in Microsoft Research Detours Package. Perhaps the documentation can give you a hint to anything that differentiates your Windows installation from the Windows installation of the typical Windows user (*) ... please let us know what you discover.

(*) Examples would be accessibility helpers, graphical overlays, ...