Best practice using virtual box on different PC

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
alfware22

Best practice using virtual box on different PC

Post by alfware22 »

Hallo I am newbie using VB since many years, so I know there are of course different versions. Actual I use 6.1.50 in Windows 10 and 6.1.40 in Windows 7, some different in Linux Mint (19-21). And I have a lot of guest machines (about 100 for different topics). Of course it is a hurry to maintain them all, for example if one was created 5 years ago, zipped and archived and now I decide to use again.
Generally it works all and probably my next questions are to answer by yes, but my last experiments with VB 7 (in Win 11 and in Mint 21) makes me some nervous...
So my questions please dont laugh:
1. is it important under which VB the box was created (4 oder 5 or any 6) and which guest additions they run? Do I always have to update guest addiotions? Sure I have have som older operating systems (Win XP, older Linux) that may not process the guest additons.
2. Can the number differ to higher and or lower? Propoasal: I want to use a guest machine built in VB 5 now on some PC in VB 6 or some older Linux running VB 4. Does it matter?
3. I (strongly) depend on the shared folder function (all my guests have and it works fine on Linux and Windows hosts). Should I therefore leave the version (5) the guest machine was created, for ever and can assume all VB 4.x and all VB.x can run/play them?
4. Well I know, VB 7 is new and innovative. But I dont like. Neighter the look/feeling nor can I see any positive change in handling, I would rather say its going worse. Shared folder doesnt work on some guests and hosts - okay I read forum threads, its a NTFS problem. So if I would say, I am 57 years old now - can I use VB 6.1. for ever or for the rest of my live? I have the installers for Win and I plan to download the .deb for Linux Mint. For your experience - would you say it could work?
Thanks and sory for my poor English, I live in Germany...