Cannot click in guest OR most host windows shortly after booting guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Vera

Cannot click in guest OR most host windows shortly after booting guest

Post by Vera »

Edit: Contrary to my original post, I CAN click in certain programs in the host, but not others, and some I can only click to close. See below for list.

I have read through many discussions that seem like superficially similar issues but have not found a solution in my case. After booting a Windows 11 guest in a Debian 12 host in Virtualbox 7.0.14 r161095 (Qt5.15.8 ), while using the guest, after a short time, I will suddenly lose the ability to right or left click my mouse anywhere in the guest OR in most windows of the host except the top OS/gnome menus and certain applications. I can still navigate by keyboard to an extent and can safely shut down the guest that way, at which point mouse functionality is restored.

These applications still are clickable in the host without any issues when this happens: Libreoffice, transmission, Software, clementine, smplayer, dconf-editor, gnome-tweaks, gnome help.

These applications are not clickable EXCEPT I can close them by clicking the upper right X: emacs, anki, geeqie, Rstudio, synaptic package manager, zoom, signal-desktop, virtualbox itself.

These applications are not clickable at all: firefox, chrome

In log1 attached, I started the OS, opened the log when it was at line 1565, then closed the log, then clicked the "input" virtualbox menu, and lost mouse functionality before the menu could appear.

In log2 attached, I started the OS, opened the log when it was at line 1568, then closed the log, then selected a USB device to attach in the devices menu. The drive loaded and the window automatically opened for it, and then I lost mouse functionality.

In log3 attached, I freshly installed Windows11 in a brand new virtual machine. As soon as it booted for the first time, I tried to open the file browser and lost mouse functionality.

I have been using this virtual machine successfully on another laptop, also Debian 12, and I *think* also Virtualbox7, but I can't boot that laptop anymore to check for sure. I can access the harddrive though so if there's some way to figure out the version number by looking at the files, I could do that. I haven't been able to figure out how. On a third laptop, also Debian 12 with Virtualbox 7.0.14 r161095, I created a new virtual machine but copied the same vdi for the hard drive, and that has been working fine. I have no idea what is different about my setup on my new laptop.

Based on other forums I tried disabling mouse integration and hardware virtualization; the former didn't work and the latter prevented the guest from booting at all.

Any ideas?
Attachments
log3.zip
(46.55 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
log2.zip
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
log1.zip
(39.74 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by Vera on 14. Mar 2024, 12:58, edited 5 times in total.
Vera

Re: Cannot click in any guest OR host windows shortly after booting guest

Post by Vera »

New info, in case it's relevant: I tried downgrading to 6.1 but was unable to (I believe my kernel is incompatible), but I uninstalled 7 and reinstalled using the debian sid repo instead of the Oracle release, but I'm having the same problem. I was able to use some adobe applications for a bit, but when I mounted a USB device and the file explorer opened I lost mouse functionality again. I've attached log4 for this instance.
Attachments
log4.zip
(38.04 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Vera

Re: Cannot click in guest OR most host windows shortly after booting guest

Post by Vera »

Update: After running a full dist-upgrade, I've now been using virtualbox for 12 hours without the issue recurring. I wish I knew which upgrade was relevant... Interestingly, I'm actually still using the same kernel, i.e. 6.1.0-18, because 6.7 is causing unrelated problems, so that's not the issue.

Edit: False alarm. After almost a day of running virtualbox without an issue, including mounting and unmounting USB devices etc, I lost mouse functionality when clicking on the "devices" virtualbox menu again.

These are the log file lines just before I shut down the VM but I don't see any obvious problem and the other logs don't have the same thing:

20:47:29.088599 Display::i_handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=00007fecbc000000 w=1920 h=1200 bpp=32 cbLine=0x1E00 flags=0xD origin=0,0
20:47:29.090377 Display::i_handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=00007fecbc000000 w=1920 h=1200 bpp=32 cbLine=0x1E00 flags=0x1 origin=0,0
20:47:29.090413 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::performResize: Size=1920x1200, Using fallback buffer since no source bitmap is provided

Any ideas of any other tests I can do or other logs I can look at??
Attachments
log5.zip
(53.37 KiB) Downloaded 3 times