Attempt to delete snapshot returns error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Attempt to delete snapshot returns error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Post by abcuser »

On VirtualBox v7.0.14 on Windows 10 host I have Ubuntu 23.10 virtual machine.

I have the following snapshots:
all.png
all.png (7.92 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Yesterday I tried to delete now named "broken-snapshot" snapshot. For some reason deleting snapshot froze at 100%. I have waited like 30 min and then I shutdown Windows host. Host is my laptop.

Today I started the host and I tried to delete snapshot again, but now I get the following error:
snapshot.png
snapshot.png (21.78 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
It looks like file does not exists anymore (I have checked on disk and it doesn't), but for some reason delete operation didn't properly update the deleted file, so now it looks like half deleted.

Current snapshots:
- master: works fine (can be restored and virtual machine normally starts up)
- broken-snapshot: not working, broken and it can not be deleted
- working-snapshot: works fine (can be restored and virtual machine normally starts up)

This virtual machine is still working fine with working-snapshot, that is the most what I care about. The only thing, I would also like to delete "master" snapshot, because I don't need it anymore (few GB of disk), but now I can't.

Can this easily be solved? If not, I will reinstall Ubuntu like in a month when new Ubuntu 24.04 LTS is released and move the files over. Not a huge problem.

I have deleted all files from virtual machine "logs" directory and when I try to delete virtual machine no new log file is created. Like I understand new log file in "virtual-machine"/logs directory only gets created when virtual machine is started. Now my virtual machine is powered down.

I have also deleted all of the *.log files from C:\Users\myuser\.VirtualBox and then started VirtualBox GUI and file VBoxSVC.log was created. I see from the logs some info is written. Then I have waited few minutes and then try to delete snapshot again and now everything that is from 00:00:50 and latter is from "delete snapshot" attempt.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(8.5 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Re: Attempt to delete snapshot returns error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Post by abcuser »

My current content of D:\VirtualBoxVMs\Ubuntu\Snapshots folder. There is no vdi file that VirtualBox GUI would like to delete.

disk.png
disk.png (38.21 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Attempt to delete snapshot returns error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Post by fth0 »

If you just need the snapshot working-snapshot and not a changed Current State of it, restore the VM to the snapshot working-snapshot and try to clone the VM selecting Full Clone and Current machine state.