Unable to install windows 98 On VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Re: Unable to install windows 98 On VirtualBox

Post by FranceBB »

You're on Linux, so just put all the files you need in a folder.
For instance, I created a folder called "my_folder" in downloads so that the path is /home/FranceBB/Downloads/my_folder
Then I've put the files in there and from the terminal I typed

mkisofs -o "/home/FranceBB/Downloads/my_folder.iso" "/home/FranceBB/Downloads/my_folder"

to create an ISO file called my_folder.iso with all the files inside the folder.
From there you can just attach it to the VM.
I'm not particularly familiar with VISO, so I don't know, but I suppose it would allow something similar and it's probably easier to use as fth0 was suggesting, but yeah the command line should also work. Otherwise you can use GUIs like "brasero".

Unrelated but in your name you have "XP", which I guess refers to Windows XP. If that's the case and you have an XP VM too you can set them both to the same internal network and share files via SMBv1 in the virtualbox's internal network. (NAT Network would also work).
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Unable to install windows 98 On VirtualBox

Post by fth0 »

FranceBB wrote: 7. Mar 2024, 23:06 I'm not particularly familiar with VISO, so I don't know, but I suppose it would allow something similar and it's probably easier to use as fth0 was suggesting, but yeah the command line should also work.
If it's "easier to use", would be a classical debate of GUI vs CLI or mouse vs. keyboard. ;)

In the VirtualBox Manager, at all places where you can select an ISO file to add to a VM, you can alternatively create and add a .viso file by selecting files and folders from physical media (e.g. the host's hard disk) in a file manager dialog, and VirtualBox will then emulate the ISO file without creating it on disk.