Difficulty Accessing Shared Directory on Windows Server 2022

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CSA75FR

Difficulty Accessing Shared Directory on Windows Server 2022

Post by CSA75FR »

Hello Virtualbox Community,

I'm currently facing an issue with accessing a shared directory, including a non-visible subdirectory, on a Windows Server 2022 environment. I'm seeking guidance on the diagnostic steps to troubleshoot the problem. Here is the context, the steps I've taken, and the network configuration:

**Context:**
- I have a Windows Server 2022 acting as a domain controller and DNS server in a VirtualBox environment.
- There is a shared directory, including a subdirectory, configured on the server with specific access permissions.
- The server is a part of a domain, and a Windows 10 client machine, also part of the same domain, is attempting to access this shared directory.

**Network Configuration:**
- Both the server (Windows Server 2022) and the client (Windows 10) are virtual machines in a VirtualBox environment.
- The virtual machines are connected to the same an internal network within VirtualBox (intnet).

**Firewall Configuration:**
- The firewall on both the server and client machines (Windows Server 2022 and Windows 10) has been disabled in an attempt to resolve the issue, but without success.

**Problem Encountered:**
- The shared directory is visible from the client machine (Windows 10) when entering the url "\\domain[dot]com\sharename" in the file explorer address bar, but attempts to access its content result in an "Element not found" error. It behaves the same when trying this test from the server itself.
- The "Network" section in Windows File Explorer is empty both from the server and the client.

**Tests Conducted:**
1. Checked and confirmed that the relevant user has appropriate permissions at both the share and file security levels.
2. Verified network connectivity by successfully pinging the server from the client machine.
3. Confirmed DNS resolution using `nslookup` for the server's name.
4. Examined the logs on both the server (Windows Server 2022) and client (Windows 10) machines, but found no relevant events related to the access issue.
5. Attempted access from the server itself (Windows Server 2022) to the shared directory using an administrator account, resulting in the same "Element not found" error.
6. Tried accessing the shared directory, including the non-visible subdirectory, from the client machine (Windows 10) using an administrator account, which also resulted in the "Element not found" error.

What additional steps can I take to identify and resolve the "Element not found" error when attempting to access the shared directory and its non-visible subdirectory?

Any insights or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Difficulty Accessing Shared Directory on Windows Server 2022

Post by scottgus1 »

I gather that the VMs are connected via a Virtualbox "Internal" network. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Internal Network

The problem appears to be that the Windows 10 client can see the actual shared folder from Server 2022, but cannot open the subfolder.
CSA75FR wrote: 19. Feb 2024, 10:02 **Problem Encountered:**
- The shared directory is visible from the client machine (Windows 10) when entering the url "\\domain[dot]com\sharename" in the file explorer address bar, but attempts to access its content result in an "Element not found" error. It behaves the same when trying this test from the server itself.
- The "Network" section in Windows File Explorer is empty both from the server and the client.
That the client can access something on the server probably means that the Virtualbox network is working, especially since the client was able to join the server's domain.

I think Virtualbox itself is working, and that the OS's in the VM need further configuration. Try diagnosing this as if there were a real unmanaged switch and two network cables between two real PCs, and see what you get. Microsoft may have to help.

I don't think there is any configuration in Virtualbox that is influencing this problem.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Difficulty Accessing Shared Directory on Windows Server 2022

Post by fth0 »

Trying to access a network share consists of a lot of internal operations. I'd suggest to use Wireshark to capture the network traffic and/or to use Sysinternals Process Monitor to capture the file access operations.