Guest stuck / freeze when rebooting VM before savestate

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MrSuburbanKid

Guest stuck / freeze when rebooting VM before savestate

Post by MrSuburbanKid »

Hi Community,
my experience with VB exist about 10 years as an ordinary user, without much skills in coding. On the other side, a big pack of endurance (try and error) and searching the internet for suitable solutions.

Since changing the host to Windows 11 Pro, there is a not resolvable problem and hopefully this forum bring light in this darkness. :roll:

First of all, here a short description of my problem and afterward the tests, why i'm suppose the solution isn't in the hardware nor in the Windows features as well.

I'm running on a Lenovo IdeaCentre with Windows 11 Pro installed, a VB 7.0.14 for three VMs (2x openSUSE, 1x Win10Pro). Starting VMs in headless mode by VBoxVmService 7.0 and closing them in savestate, when the host system is booting / shutdown. To this point everything is fine and fully functional. Regardless of the guest os, at the time of rebooting within the vms (after updates, installations), they won't boot and i see a black screen with a little prompt.
AND today on a ThinkPad-Tablet, also Win 11Pro, VB 7.0.14 for an Ubuntu-OS LTS 22.04, headless mode with VBoxVmService 7.0, i recap the same error, with a crucial difference. After booting the Ubuntu guest, it stuck in the moment, when serveral services starting within the vm. Lucky not seeing a black screen, but an stuck guest is also worthless, as well.

Be sure, apart from coding, i tried a lot of settings on the host (installing, deinstalling Hyper-V features), guest settings within VB, working without VBoxVmService. Starting vms with VBoxHeadless and closing them savestate - same result when rebooting the guest before savestate. If the guests are closed with the command acpipowerbutton, everything is fine again. They made a clean reboot and working proberly.

After investing many time for several attempts and search engines, the IdeaCentre is hosting now my guests on Hyper-V. But facing this error again on the tablet is nuts. In the attachement of this post is the Log-file when Ubuntu stuck and i shutdown the guest within VB command.

Hopefully, awaiting your replys. Maybe a solution will be easy enough to realize.
Attachments
Ubuntu-LTHost-2024-02-16-14-18-36.log
(105.65 KiB) Downloaded 16 times