Suddenly I can't INSTALL or boot Win 11 VM's?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tronmch2

Suddenly I can't INSTALL or boot Win 11 VM's?

Post by Tronmch2 »

This is a real poser... I CREATED a Windows 11 VM on this host 2 weeks ago, and it ran well... S I created a 7zip archive of the VM and moved that archive off my laptop to save space...

Today, I copied it back, extracted it, and it won't boot. I tried to create a NEW Windows 11 VM, and I get the "press any key to boot from CD or DVD".. Press any key, and the VM hangs before the windows install boot screen appears. I see that the VM is using an awful lot of CPU for a dead VM...

I moved the first VM to my Linux host and it started without a hitch...

I booted a Windows 10 VM without a problem. I see that the VBOX.lol.* is reporting that the VM is crashing (IRQL... errors) But I don't really know what the rest of this is telling me...

It's a company laptop (IBM Thinkpad P53), so it's possible that some DLP or other security policy has farked me up, but the last time that happened, NO VM's would start... (DLP inserted itself into the hypervisor somehow and it detected this and aborted...)
Attachments
win11-wont-install.7z
(78.88 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Suddenly I can't INSTALL or boot Win 11 VM's?

Post by fth0 »

Tronmch2 wrote: 16. Feb 2024, 20:41 It's a company laptop (IBM Thinkpad P53), so it's possible that some DLP or other security policy has farked me up, but the last time that happened, NO VM's would start... (DLP inserted itself into the hypervisor somehow and it detected this and aborted...)
The VBoxHardening.log file reveals umppc17706.dll, which is part of CrowdStrike Falcon. VirtualBox detected it and removed its code from VirtualBoxVM's process memory, and if somebody tried to call into it later, Bad Things (TM) might have happened ... ;)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Suddenly I can't INSTALL or boot Win 11 VM's?

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the VBox.log files indicate the same issue as in Re: Windows 11 Preview 26016 install doesn't boot on 7.0.12.