BSOD error: Windows 10 not booting suddenly....

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
NorbyD

BSOD error: Windows 10 not booting suddenly....

Post by NorbyD »

I attempted to increase the base memory and when I attempted to start the
machine windows 10 wasn't booting and received a BSOD error message. Before I attempted this, it was booting fine. Any suggestions? Thanks
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: BSOD error: Windows 10 not booting suddenly....

Post by granada29 »

This post is in the macOS Guests forum. I think you probably meant to post in the Mac OS X Hosts forum (assuming your host is in fact a Mac).

You should start your VM, let it run until you hit the error, then shut it down.

Then zip the VBox.log file and attach it to a post here.

Right-click on your VM name in VirtualBox Manager
Choose 'Show in Finder' from the pop-up menu
In the Finder window of the VM you will see a folder named Logs
Open this folder and right-click VBox.log and choose Compress to create Vbox.log.zip
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 3. Feb 2024, 05:51 This post is in the macOS Guests forum. I think you probably meant to post in the Mac OS X Hosts forum (assuming your host is in fact a Mac).

You should start your VM, let it run until you hit the error, then shut it down.

Then zip the VBox.log file and attach it to a post here.

Right-click on your VM name in VirtualBox Manager
Choose 'Show in Finder' from the pop-up menu
In the Finder window of the VM you will see a folder named Logs
Open this folder and right-click VBox.log and choose Compress to create Vbox.log.zip
Thanks Granada!

Here it is:
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Vbox.log.zip
(27.56 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

granada29 wrote: 3. Feb 2024, 05:51 This post is in the macOS Guests forum. I think you probably meant to post in the Mac OS X Hosts forum (assuming your host is in fact a Mac).
'Tis moved! :D
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

@NorbyD

The root cause is that you are running VirtualBox 7.0.14 on macOS Catalina. This does not work well and unfortunately will probably never improve because Catalina has been unsupported by Apple for a couple of years now.

I suggest you uninstall VirtualBox 7.0.14 (using the script on the installation DMG) and then install VirtualBox 6.1.50 from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 3. Feb 2024, 21:18 @NorbyD

The root cause is that you are running VirtualBox 7.0.14 on macOS Catalina. This does not work well and unfortunately will probably never improve because Catalina has been unsupported by Apple for a couple of years now.

I suggest you uninstall VirtualBox 7.0.14 (using the script on the installation DMG) and then install VirtualBox 6.1.50 from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1
Thanks again Granada!

So will VB 6.1.50 run smoothly? I'm assuming I will have to install updates if necessary which will not effect its stability?
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

I have a mac Mini 6,3 running Catalina and VirtualBox 6.1.50. It performs very well.

In terms of updates - you should apply any outstanding Apple software updates, although Apple will not be adding any more beyond what they have already released.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

granada29 wrote: 3. Feb 2024, 23:00 In terms of updates - you should apply any outstanding Apple software updates, although Apple will not be adding any more beyond what they have already released.
The same holds true for VirtualBox 6.1.50, if the question was directed to that. There won't be any VirtualBox updates for 6.1.x any more.
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 3. Feb 2024, 23:00 I have a mac Mini 6,3 running Catalina and VirtualBox 6.1.50. It performs very well.

In terms of updates - you should apply any outstanding Apple software updates, although Apple will not be adding any more beyond what they have already released.
Thanks again.

Unfortunately, I received a failed error when I tried loading the 6.1.50 error.

I included the zip file and the error message ( I did disable the USB, btw. Windows still doesn't boot):
Attachments
VBox.log 2.zip
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
VB_Fail.png
VB_Fail.png (69.52 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

You have installed the Extension Pack for VirtualBox 7.0.14. This wil NOT work with VirtualBox 6.1.50
Remove this by opening the VirtualBox Preferences and clicking the Extensions icon at the top of the window.

Download and install the Extension Pack for VirtualBox 6.1.50 from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1

Hopefully that fixes the problem
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

One other thing, your error mentions that the VM is in a saved state. VMs in a saved state rarely survive a version change. You may need to right-click the VM and Discard the Saved State. The VM will boot as if the power had been cut. Considering that it wasn't booting before the version change, that may not be a problem.
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

scottgus1 wrote: 4. Feb 2024, 15:05 One other thing, your error mentions that the VM is in a saved state. VMs in a saved state rarely survive a version change. You may need to right-click the VM and Discard the Saved State. The VM will boot as if the power had been cut. Considering that it wasn't booting before the version change, that may not be a problem.
I discarded the 7.0.14 extension pack but couldn't find the Saved State. When I right click, do I need to select "Remove" > Delete Files ? Otherwise, I'm not sure where the Saved State can be located, unless it's deleting the machine which I prefer not doing.

Please advise. Thanks again!
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

NorbyD wrote: 4. Feb 2024, 21:11 Otherwise, I'm not sure where the Saved State can be located, unless it's deleting the machine which I prefer not doing.
Take another look at the pop-up menu when right-click the VM name in VirtualBox Manager. If there is no saved state then the 'Discard Saved State...' item will be grayed out (i.e. disabled) but still visible.
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 4. Feb 2024, 21:33
NorbyD wrote: 4. Feb 2024, 21:11 Otherwise, I'm not sure where the Saved State can be located, unless it's deleting the machine which I prefer not doing.
Take another look at the pop-up menu when right-click the VM name in VirtualBox Manager. If there is no saved state then the 'Discard Saved State...' item will be grayed out (i.e. disabled) but still visible.
Got it! It is grayed out.

I deleted the extension pack and there is no saved state, but windows is still not booting.

What else can I try?

Thanks again.
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

Did you install the VirtualBox 6.1.50 Extension Pack?
The Extension Pack version MUST match the VirtualBox version. You download it from the same place that you downloaded VirtualBox 6.1.50 - https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack