BSOD error: Windows 10 not booting suddenly....

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
NorbyD

Re: BSOD error: Windows 10 not booting suddenly....

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 4. Feb 2024, 22:31 Did you install the VirtualBox 6.1.50 Extension Pack?
The Extension Pack version MUST match the VirtualBox version. You download it from the same place that you downloaded VirtualBox 6.1.50 - https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack
Do I need the extension pack for it to function properly?
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 4. Feb 2024, 22:31 Did you install the VirtualBox 6.1.50 Extension Pack?
The Extension Pack version MUST match the VirtualBox version. You download it from the same place that you downloaded VirtualBox 6.1.50 - https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... ox-extpack
I just installed it and the issue still persists. Maybe there's a windows file missing? Not sure what else it could be. Trying to avoid deleting the machine and starting over.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

Please post a log with your new configuration.
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 4. Feb 2024, 23:25 Please post a log with your new configuration.
Here it is. Thanks again.
Attachments
VBox.log 2.zip
(31.74 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

My suggestions:

1. Disable audio - it has been known to cause problems in the past.
2. Configure 2 CPUs - I know that is all your cores but I am not sure that W10 likes a single CPU.
3. Increase RAM to 3 GB - every OS likes more memory and you have 6GB available.

If this works, then you could try re-enabling audio.
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 4. Feb 2024, 23:58 My suggestions:

1. Disable audio - it has been known to cause problems in the past.
2. Configure 2 CPUs - I know that is all your cores but I am not sure that W10 likes a single CPU.
3. Increase RAM to 3 GB - every OS likes more memory and you have 6GB available.

If this works, then you could try re-enabling audio.
I did all those things and still not working.

I''ve attached another log.
Attachments
VBox.log 2.zip
(31.12 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

Now I am out of my depth. From the log it looks as though your VM is running until it loads the VirtualBox Guest Additions. Your guest additions are:

Code: Select all

00:00:16.339027 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 7.0.14 r161095 '7.0.14'
There is probably a startup key combination to prevent these GAs from being loaded but I don't know what that is. Hopefully someone who does know will be able to answer.

What error are you seeing displayed when you run the VM now?
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 5. Feb 2024, 03:07 Now I am out of my depth. From the log it looks as though your VM is running until it loads the VirtualBox Guest Additions. Your guest additions are:

Code: Select all

00:00:16.339027 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 7.0.14 r161095 '7.0.14'
There is probably a startup key combination to prevent these GAs from being loaded but I don't know what that is. Hopefully someone who does know will be able to answer.

What error are you seeing displayed when you run the VM now?
Ok, thanks.

It is not an actual error, the screen saver windows image comes up but there is no login screen.
I took a screenshot, but it was too large to attach.
fth0
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

granada29 wrote: 5. Feb 2024, 03:07 There is probably a startup key combination to prevent these GAs from being loaded but I don't know what that is.
I don't know it either, but I think it doesn't even exist. My preferred way to solve this:

Boot the VM from a Linux Live ISO and rename all files whose names begin with "VBox" in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\" and "C:\Windows\System32\".
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

fth0 wrote: 5. Feb 2024, 22:03
granada29 wrote: 5. Feb 2024, 03:07 There is probably a startup key combination to prevent these GAs from being loaded but I don't know what that is.
I don't know it either, but I think it doesn't even exist. My preferred way to solve this:

Boot the VM from a Linux Live ISO and rename all files whose names begin with "VBox" in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\" and "C:\Windows\System32\".
But I'm on a Mac. Is there an easier way? Thanks
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

You can try running Windows in Safe Mode:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... Windows_10

I tried this yesterday - powering off the VM by closing the VM while it was still showing the initial boot. On the 3rd start it flipped into the the blue screens shown in the MS article linked above.

With the VM booted in Safe Mode, I was able to re-install the Guest Additions and I am pretty sure the existing ones had not been loaded. Make sure the Guest Additions you install are those for VirtualBox 6.1.50

It's a little complex but I think it may be what you need to do. Sorry that I can't find a simpler solution.
NorbyD

Post by NorbyD »

granada29 wrote: 6. Feb 2024, 21:41 You can try running Windows in Safe Mode:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... Windows_10

I tried this yesterday - powering off the VM by closing the VM while it was still showing the initial boot. On the 3rd start it flipped into the the blue screens shown in the MS article linked above.

With the VM booted in Safe Mode, I was able to re-install the Guest Additions and I am pretty sure the existing ones had not been loaded. Make sure the Guest Additions you install are those for VirtualBox 6.1.50

It's a little complex but I think it may be what you need to do. Sorry that I can't find a simpler solution.
No worries Granada - your support is always helpful!

I think you might be on to something with the Guest additions - I will double check which one is installed.