Linux Mint jumps back to login screen

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
atomick

Linux Mint jumps back to login screen

Post by atomick »

Issue login correct recycles no desktop, Wild wtfreak. /boot/* contents by most all case, nuked via last patch or update/upgrade. Crypto-LUKS passes passwd entry just no desktop after enter passwd.
Mint seem to have this issue, 3yr now sw to MX-linux. recent MX has had 2 issue same 1 failed again 2nd tym saved myself via having my game server running same kernel and version. Fired the box up and issued after su - root cd / ; zip -r9 mBoot.zip /boot -creates copy all of /boot
cp to flash this zip file without restarting the broken MX box. Just after its patch mgr run a full patch update I thought oddly chk found /boot was emptied same as seeing on Mint. ( love mint sure its now all more stable now).
as root again copied flash/mBoot.zip to / and unzip mBoot regenerates contents to /boot/kernel and grub. "WAIT"
Do not boot now the grub.cfg is of the other box. It will do same thing. cd grub ; mv grub.cfg Old.grub.cfg now issue
grub-mkconfig this will recreate a new grub.cfg now with all your system device UUID entries to know what discs to bind kernel x-version too and restart and your desktop to entry should now function right.
Consider a sysAdmin habit upon any updates if you watch and kernel updates specific. Never quickly fire the restart prior to cd /boot ; ls -lat
to verify all the contents are there. 2sec can save 2hrs of pain.
There too is a double triple wham as too no control "IF A Clean up script written in error usually just a syntax err by patch author" is to run shutdown/startup, which does the /boot/nuk that might be Pkg file if by chance the patchers happen to cleanup kernel files. Good habit per each kernel updates to consider as root to create the zip copy of /boot content. save it or save and shelve its copy keep a LiveOS handy.
There is a method to recover same via Crypto-LUKS req'd for that is a Linux-Live D or Flash load to boot from set root on its live DT and blkid to look for the Cryto-LUKS UUIDs and know the /dev/sdxy to mount. This will call the Crypt-pswd enter and mount to /mnt
remember the File structure so cmdline can trik you when you do your cd too. eg: clear root or a user passwd in /etc/passwd and /etc/passwd- files respectively. Same to copy from a host copy of mBoot.zip over the /mnt/drive/wwn* enter like 1st 4 char*/ copy unzip the boot file there. This could be a risk but once unzipd cd boot/grub mv grub.cfg to old.grub.cfg or delete it all together as it say generated at boot.
Its controlled from /etc/grub.d/start script files are here. Which are set via your UUID device. Now back out and try reboot without the Live flash and pray. So my quest here is to find how to intrupt vbox guest and fix a bootup on a Guest same way w/o having to delete all at vboxmgr and rebuild my salt test OS vbox guest. Happen to error renaming my /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname with an _ char in the name eg mx_Salty2, Vbox boots all the way past Crypto and sits there, "OhNo!" Vboxmgr/filemgr learning on the way. Retired hobby dancer. Hope small tutor helps the needy. w/just a 1 catskin fix,
atomick

Re: Linux Mint jumps back to login screen

Post by atomick »

Similar to breaking Desktop Login either recycles to enter passwd or black screen waiting. Per my last in creating a zip copy of all /boot content. Still a must procedure.

With crypto-LUKS encrypted VBox guest install enabled: happen to make a critical edit error. For this type of virtual access. I create few guest clones to Salt Test many things compile etc OS-testing/learning_tampering. Running few thru the grid. I changed my /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname I had a dot in the hostname which I changed to underscore (big mistake) dot in hostname okay, underscore is NOT.

Reboot proceeds to enter Crypto passwd reaching black screen of stalemate boot issue flashing cursor.

Trik saves again. could not find a break point feature in Vboxmanger similar to a live access to a guess.vdi Nor could I filemgr edit /etc/hosts within a .vdi image. not yet known but feature save was "Recovery mode" by my LinuxOS choice MX-Linux. Many now have this in Grub boot loader. Tapping down at boot selecting Recovery-mode enter root passwd gave me all access to the file system now inside my VBoxGuest.

su - root cd /etc ; vi hosts " sel character "_" deleted vi"x"same with hosts file entry. eg. "m_Salted231" result chg too mSalted231 as my hostname now correct
Reboot. Came here to update.

chasing dumb odd err in .bashrc within prompt had /h for entry - did not see m.Salted231 prompt only saw m Easy fix I forgot /H prompt feature var fixed this easy yet one simple key can mess up an hr or 2 time, lost brain wipe.
Shared to allow others to see easy way to take an OS to its knees.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks, Atomick, for your reports. Unfortunately, they're too "stream of consciousness" for me to parse. Too long and story-like, and the important parts don't stand out. It will be curious to see what OP Paalg makes of them.

Please be concise and focused, and post us a TL;DR.
atomick

Post by atomick »

Sorry the old details required holds my key habit. hard to please the multi-mind AI
atomick

Post by atomick »

issue was Black screen after entering Crypto-Luks Passed result no Login Prompt
Cause: manual vi change/update hostname to files /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname files. changed m.Salty2 to m _ Salty2 both entry. Reboot to black screen error after entering crypto passwd. Blocked at this point of boot login process. In other words Rendered unable to use the destop MX-Linux as shared easy to bring an OS to its knee.

Fix: when grub appeares quick after crypto passwd " Grub prompt, tap down key to enter "Advanced boot features" results choice of kernel version or memx86 testing. One option in this screen of selections is "Recovery" select my running MX-Linux.23.2 as this VBox Guest also hosted. same version. Easy to hack and play with another running copy as is to the main hosted System. VBox provides singly user let alone commercial enterprize much by its excellent virtualization.

recovery asks for Root pswd to proceed to filesystem. Similar or is now a headless access logged in by root user.

at 1st prompt, cd /etc vi hosts changed m_Salty2 to mSalty2 esc wq! end vi for 1 file edit.
next still in /etc/ dir pwd /etc vi hostname file l char to cursor right over to underscore "_" of m_Salty2 r to change _ or x char deleting the underscore chose to delete at this choice per edit.
esc wq! end vi cd /
since root user next cmdline reboot.

reboot process continues normal crypto prompt requested passwd for crypto open of OS. success wait 3 second
Normal Desktop Prompt Username / Passwd {problem now fixed without having to reload} with last user name showing , entered passwd and back recovered to VBox Guest MX-linux desktop now fixed. All is well. To the more advanced having a complete .bashrc PS1= Prompt various char provide /h or /H characters in prompt provide Hostname on the prompt line in bash shell. as does /u show username at Terminal shell prompt. Different than normal /~ or /# much to advanced for additional user customizations. I again simply re-vi'd both files again and changed underscore to dot (.) in my hacked .bashrc file at the PS1= entry where by /h only showed m of m.Salty2 name I injected to call my os reference. I simply re vi'd my .bashrc file changed in the prompt entry /h to /H and this solved my view to show on my shell terminal prompt
 m.Salted2  meUser  Documents  these square blocks are right arrow extended ascii blocks in the prompt with also various colors

simple express to simple basics for modifying or customizing shell. Sorry Long time Solaris Unix God previous ham sysAdmin of complex server farm and networks. habit plays echoing into retirement finger hack jitters is the Itch.

MX-Linux is one excellent Distro. I like and have the time to invest more to play and hacking the desktop.

cheers. copy of my prompt for those belief in my word. further study on PS1 PS2 PS3 may share help.

PS1="\[\e[1;37m\]\[\e[41;1;19m\]\[\e[44m\] \h \[\e[1;37m\]\[\e[48;5;109m\]\[\e[1;30m\]\[\e[38;5;0;48;5;197m\] \u \[\e[38;5;119m\]\[\e[100m\] \[
\e[1;37m\] \W \[\e[1;93m\]\[\e[40m\]\[\e[0m\] "

This is a safe prompt entry, to see it use nano or vi/vim I'm old scale vi user. cursor down to PS1 as shown enter a # in front of your current PS1 entry and copy paste to see this prompt. above or below this entry. o or O to open new line in vi/vim abv or below position.

copied from other web resource and glittered it up to such. Learn and Learn wide lots to learn is endless upon any *nix platform. or Unix variable now seemingly being tossed to ghost town. Once complete w/o logout/in still in shell window type

source .bashrc or . .bashrc and it should show its beauty.

I do not nor ever consider to share dirty tricks or as some tricks that cause damage no true SysAdmin would ever jeopardize his position by such. Nor would I care now away from those pits. Teaching others is more prize to share. Read slow. appreciate the call. we all win

This editor breaks the copy paste so might not work. Risk is only to try and possibly simple to fix. join line breaks. yatahey!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Moving this to its own topic. One thing at least, it's not about Mint, like the original topic was. After that, I can't make head or tail of it.

Atomic, if you can try again to get this into 10 lines or less, please try.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

Which version of mint are issues occurring on?
Which flavor of mint are you using?
Are you suing X or wayland in mint depending on which version? (Wayland support added in 21.3 a GA few weeks ago).

I have used Mint XFCE from 7 years ago up to 21.3 and have had issues, but none as reported in this thread.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hey there Andy! Please also look at this one, the source from which Atomick's posts were split. viewtopic.php?t=110257
atomick

Post by atomick »

Sorry all. Scottgus1, syntax at cmdline Bash/sed/grub/awk can all be the challenge.

Trouble: Login Jumps back or Returns after entering password. Appears pswd entered by acct name is incorrect or not accepted.
Findings: by Live booted DT any distro.iso VBox "New" installed direct Distro.iso "Trouble issue same kina". Login screen/gui returns back. VBox Guest start Black Screen of Death no login gui at all. waiting.

Troubleshooting: Result loading Live: su - root, mount unresponsive OS disk/partition. to /mnt , cd /mnt ; cd boot 'pls note syntax'
I did not cd /boot simple to know your cmdln needs as what result would be? Vbox tap down at grub screen sel 'recovery' to fix.

ls -l /mnt/boot/*.* has all been erased. ls -l /boot compare. No kernel file nor sub-dir grub. Essential to operation reaching desktop login gui. "stuff happens" (experienced Stuff-Guy).
suggest: copy now all contained. Analyze and feature important points to recover. zip -r9 mBoot.zip /boot -From working system copy onto dis-functional unzip as root user may as sudo either or. Reboot -> wait process. 10 lines other post may repeat factor to detail.