Ubuntu VM stalls on boot at vboxadd-service.service

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ProfClay

Ubuntu VM stalls on boot at vboxadd-service.service

Post by ProfClay »

Since I upgraded to virtualBox 7.0.12r159484, my Ubuntu (18.04) VM will no longer start. The startup stalls at the "Started vboxadd-service.service" item and the logon screen doesn't appear.
2024-02-01_12-59-39.png
2024-02-01_12-59-39.png (12.88 KiB) Viewed 706 times
My host system is: Windows 10 Education, 10.0.19045 Build 19045, 64 bit

I'm really just an end user of VirtualBox because there is some software that I use that only runs on Linux. I've tried searching the forum and didn't find anything that seemed relevant. I'm at a loss as to how to fix this issue. Any suggestions?

I've attached the log file that is generated when the VM is killed by closing the VM window and selecting the power off option.
Attachments
Ubuntu-2024-02-01-13-00-30.zip
(36.74 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: Ubuntu VM stalls on boot at vboxadd-service.service

Post by klaus »

You're running quite old guest additions in the VM (version 6.1.22), but that doesn't explain why the VM doesn't come up. Likewise I don't remember issues where GA updates would cause such a freeze. Might be that you also updated the kernel, but right now the actual information is very sparse.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0.12 Virtualbox and 6.1.26 Guest Additions and 3D Acceleration enabled. Maybe a bug in the graphics because of 3D and the new 7.0 graphics code? Try disabling 3D acceleration, see if you can get to the desktop.
ProfClay

Post by ProfClay »

Thanks!
By turning off the 3D graphics accel. I was able to startup the VM. Once the VM started, I was also prompted to update the GA which I did through the Devices menu.

In my original post I failed to describe the sequence of events...
My IT department encouraged me to update from an old version of VBox - which I did. Soon after, I created a new VM (not relevant but a Cantos stream VM). I could not get the GA to install for that VM. I realized I was using an older version and so updated that. I'm guessing that somehow that caused a problem with the Ubuntu VM that was still trying to run from an old GA - but turning off the 3D accel. resolved my initial issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Excellent! You can try installing 7.0.12's Guest Additions if you want.

Guest Additions have prerequisites in Linux, same as Virtualbox on the host, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
Also, watch the terminal installation report when running the GAs installer. Error messages will show if the install ran into a problem.

Then 3D might start working again.