vbox for Qualcomm Oryon Snapdragon X

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mi6

vbox for Qualcomm Oryon Snapdragon X

Post by mi6 »

Since apple disrupted the entire pc eco'sytem with M based ARM cpu's, and since x86 is becoming obsolete as is aproaching 1kw (1000 watt) in power consumption and now the temperature.. 100+ is the new normal for it, and since amd and not so intel will release too cpu's based on ARM i do wonder if Oracle is ready for the change or not.

I do wonder if oracle will support qualcomm oryon cpu and so if Oracle will present an vbox for ARM or for windows on arm !
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: vbox for Qualcomm Oryon Snapdragon X

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm quite sure that when the market goes to ARM, and especially Oracle's customers go to ARM, then Virtualbox will go to ARM, too.

Honestly, I don't see a major paradigm shift to ARM systems worldwide anytime soon. x86/64 is too solidly entrenched to up-end by 2025. It'll be here to stay for some time. And it's not all 1000-watt electric heaters, either: there are the Intel Atoms, and fanless x86 that run somewhat decently for typical home & office, as long as you're not running a VM on them or designing Mars rockets. My i5-750 from 14 years ago runs Windows 10 and 2 VMs and draws 250-ish watts. Are there any ARMs that can compete with Ryzens & I-series FLOPS-wise? I don't personally know. But ARM goes in i-Pads and Android phones and Raspberry Pi's. Intel & AMD go in bigger computers.

I was surprised that Oracle didn't turn up the company nose and instead actually started an ARM Virtualbox for the M# Macs (though only technical preview and accidentally released). So when ARM takes a sizable chunk out of AMD/Intel, there'll be a Virtualbox for it. No dates for solid release have been or will be released, though. So you'll just have to stay tuned...