What is the correct syntax to use VBoxManage.exe clonemedium to transform VHDX to VDI

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ggirf14

What is the correct syntax to use VBoxManage.exe clonemedium to transform VHDX to VDI

Post by ggirf14 »

I created a VDHX file using disk2vhd64 ver. 2.02 to grab the hard drive of a Win7 64 bit laptop.
Only the Use Vhdx was selected from the disk2vhd gui.

To transform the vhdx file ti vdi I tried a few variables of the following from a command prompt

VBoxManage clonemedium E:\GILLES-PC-0.vhdx C:\Gilles\TEMP\Gilles-PC_from_vhdx.vdi --format VDI

I get the following error:
VBoxManage.exe: error: VD: error VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED opening image file 'E:\GILLES-PC-0.vhdx' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())" at line 201 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp

ChatGPT suggested a different command
VBoxManage clonehd E:\GILLES-PC-0.vhdx C:\Gilles\TEMP\Gilles-PC_from_vhdx.vdi --format VDI

The error message has 2 more line (at the top)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not open the medium 'E:\GILLES-PC-0.vhdx'.
VBoxManage.exe: error: VHDX: Image 'E:\GILLES-PC-0.vhdx' has a non empty log which is not supported (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).
VBoxManage.exe: error: VD: error VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED opening image file 'E:\GILLES-PC-0.vhdx' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())" at line 201 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp

Do I have the wrong syntax or there is a problem with the VDHX file?

Note: the E drive is an Asus USB enclosure with a NVME drive.

Thanks for you time.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: What is the correct syntax to use VBoxManage.exe clonemedium to transform VHDX to VDI

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't see in the manual that Virtualbox supports vhdx. On the other hand, Mpack's CloneVDI does accept vhdx as an input and gives vdi as output.
ggirf14

Re: What is the correct syntax to use VBoxManage.exe clonemedium to transform VHDX to VDI

Post by ggirf14 »

Thanks scottgus1 to point out that there is nothing in the manual that Virtualbox supports vhdx.
I will start another thread with the outcome of CloneVDI.