Windows 11 Machine failed to boot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nonenone77

Windows 11 Machine failed to boot

Post by nonenone77 »

Hi, I installed windows 11.iso and imported it perfectly etc, but the problem is when in I’m trying to run this windows it says to me an error „The virtual machine failed to boot. That might be caused by a missing operating system or misconfigured boot order…” (the iso file is in storage) and I actually see the problem, when the option of „Enable EFI (special OSes only)” is turned ON, this error happens, but when it’s turned off then I can’t install windows 11 because it doesn’t meets requirements. (My host is Windows 11) the same thing happens on windows 10 when this option is turned on, I can’t boot it, and I can’t upgrade windows inside the windows 10. (Newest version of VirtualBox)
Thanks for any help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 11 Machine failed to boot

Post by scottgus1 »

nonenone77 wrote: 24. Jan 2024, 22:13 an error „The virtual machine failed to boot. That might be caused by a missing operating system or misconfigured boot order…”
Did you successfully install Windows 11 in the VM and get 11 to boot to the desktop?

If not, simply start over with a new VM.

To get the existing Windows 11 VM to boot from the ISO, tap the ESC key when the VM is booting, or let the VM get itself into the EFI Shell (Black background with white & yellow text, then type "exit". The EFI Boot menu (black text on gray background) will appear, where options to boot from the ISO can be found.

nonenone77 wrote: 24. Jan 2024, 22:13 the same thing happens on windows 10 when this option is turned on, I can’t boot it, and I can’t upgrade windows inside the windows 10.
We have had reports from Virtualbox users successfully upgrading Windows 10 to 11 in Virtualbox VMs. I cannot remember, though, if they had to use the incompatible hardware hacks for Windows 11 publicly available on the internet.

The problem is that Windows 11 requires EFI BIOS, whereas 10 could be installed with either EFI or Legacy BIOS. Your Windows 10 VM is probably Legacy BIOS, which cannot boot in its present state when the VM is switched to EFI BIOS.

The same problem can happen in a Legacy/EFI-switchable physical PC. Research how to convert a Legacy BIOS PC OS installation to EFI so Windows 11 can be upgraded, and apply the solution to your Windows 10 VM.