VBox v7.0.12 Guest Additions service will not start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
David_76

VBox v7.0.12 Guest Additions service will not start

Post by David_76 »

I would greatly appreciate help determining why the Virtual Box Guest Additions (v7.0.12) service will not start on a new Windows 10 x64 LTSC 2021 virtual machine. The log file, VM details, and screen captures are in the attached zip file.

I think it may be an issue with the virtual display adapter, but not sure. So far I have tried changing virtual display adapter configurations, enabling and disabling 3D acceleration support, removing virtual hardware from the VM, and uninstalling and reinstalling VBox GAs with shutdowns and restarts in between each of these.

My host computer has a Windows 10 Enterprise x64 22H2, i7-11850H CPU, 64 GB RAM, SSD storage with 1 TB free storage space. I am running VirtualBox 7.0.12 with Virtual Extension Pack v7.0.12.
Attachments
VM log details and screen captures.zip
(78.85 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VBox v7.0.12 Guest Additions service will not start

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, the VirtualBox Guest Additions service (VBoxService.exe) probably doesn't run because the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel driver (VBoxGuest.sys) couldn't be started. The latter normally produce the first log messages that are missing in your VBox Log after starting up VM.txt file.

I'd suggest to check for error messages in the Windows Event Viewer.
David_76

Re: VBox v7.0.12 Guest Additions service will not start with Win10 LTSC 2021

Post by David_76 »

Thank you for your response. I seem to have fixed the issue. I read another post that said that Guest Additions is problematic in v7.0.12, so I thought I would try the latest stable test build. I upgraded Virtual Box, the Extension Pack, and Guest Additions to v7.0.13r160845. The GAs service now starts up with Windows and the proper devices are shown in Device Manager.