No Full Screen Mode and Resize Screen

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
kiekar

No Full Screen Mode and Resize Screen

Post by kiekar »

Hello,

Did a clean install with all upgrades for Ubuntu Live Server 22.04.3 on a windows 11 host using VirtualBox 7.0.12. I also installed the gcc and make perl dkms package for guest additions.

With guest additions installed I'm not able to change to full screen mode or select a screen size using View > Virtual Screen 1. It always defaults to 800x600.

Do I need to install additional packeges in order to change the screen size on Ubuntu Server.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Ubuntu Server 22.04.3-2024-01-08-08-51-00.zip
(41.27 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No Full Screen Mode and Resize Screen

Post by scottgus1 »

You do have full Guest Additions installed. Try increasing video RAM.
kiekar

Post by kiekar »

I increased the video ram to maximum (128mb) but still not able to screen mode.

Not sure about full Guest Additions. After mounting the VBoxGuestAdditions.ISO. I ran sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. Installed with no errors.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

kiekar wrote: 8. Jan 2024, 17:06 Do I need to install additional packeges in order to change the screen size on Ubuntu Server.
Do you already have an X11 server running? Note that changing the screen size needs an X11 server to work.
kiekar

Post by kiekar »

Do you already have an X11 server running? Note that changing the screen size needs an X11 server to work
I do not have X11 server running. Never heard of it. I'm guessing, does this need to run as a guest in it's own virtual machine or does it need to be installed in the ubuntu server virtual machine.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

An X11 server has been the foundation of most graphical user interfaces in Linux and UNIX for several decades now (Linux distributions started moving from X11 to Wayland lately). In consequence, we're talking about Ubuntu Server in text mode vs. GUI mode.

If you want to change the screen resolution from outside of the Ubuntu Server guest OS, the latter must run an X11 server. The same holds true if you want to use copy and paste between the guest and the host.