Guest Additions exe error meesage

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ggirf14

Guest Additions exe error meesage

Post by ggirf14 »

This is my first attempt with any VM
From Windows 11 host with Virtualbox 7.0
I created a new machine with 4 gb of ram, 400 gb hd
When I start it ask me for the OS and I select an ISO from Macrium Rescue Media built from Windows 7 (and also built with Windows 11).
Both ISO seems to run fine but to share folder with the host I need Guest Additions installed.
I mounted the ISO for Guest additions but the autorun don't seems to run I get the generic disc icon for this drive and the exe only gives me an error message (No associated program found).

How can I get the Guest Additions installed when the exe cannot run?

Included is the log file and screenshot of the error message.
Attachments
Autocad-2023-12-30-02-36-49.log
(107.14 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (37.12 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest Additions exe error meesage

Post by scottgus1 »

I cannot speak as to whether Macrium's rescue environment will allow you to run non-Macrium exe's in the OS. FWIW Guest Additions would require a reboot, which would undo the Guest Additions install, since the rescue OS has to boot from the read-only ISO.

I gather that your real problem is to make the Macrium ISO in the VM see a restore image on the host. The way to do that would be to add a Host-Only network to the VM. Hopefully, Macrium has drivers for one of the network cards that Virtualbox provides. Then, share the folder containing the image within the host OS's methods, and access the default 192.168.56.1 host IP address on Host-Only inside Macrium to find the shared folder and image.

Doing this restore is really changing the restored OS's hardware. Expect at least loss of software activation, and possibly some reboots or maybe even BSODs for completely different hardware being seen by the restored OS.
ggirf14

Re: Guest Additions exe error meesage

Post by ggirf14 »

scottgus1 you are correct on :
Macrium's rescue environment will allow you to run non-Macrium exe's in the OS

I was able to map a network drive as a workaround shared folder not available without Guest additions.

From there I was able to restore the OS in the VM.

It booted OK and once I had the VM running with Windows 7 OS there was no problem to run the Guest additions exe.