von HDD auf SSD umstellen

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Miesmuschel

von HDD auf SSD umstellen

Post by Miesmuschel »

Hallo,

ich habe unter Linux Mint 20.3 mit vbox 6.1.38 eine VM für Win10 erstellt, dabei aber versehentlich die Checkbox "SSD" nicht angeklickt. Win10 ist nun für eine HDD eingerichtet.
Ich habe Win10 heruntergefahren und die Checkbox aktiviert, aber nach dem Reboot erkennt Win10 weiterhin eine "VBOX HARDDISK" und die Defragmentierungseinstellungen passen weiterhin nicht zur SSD.
Wie bekomme ich Win10 dazu, dass es die SSD erkennt und die notwendigen Einstellungen vornimmt?
Oder muss ich Win10 dafür neu installieren?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: von HDD auf SSD umstellen

Post by scottgus1 »

These would be settings inside the Windows 10 OS, not in Virtualbox. The same kind of thing might happen if migrating a physical PC's Windows 10 from a HDD to an SSD.

Web-search "how to set Windows 10 to be on an SSD" or something like that. You may also have to disable the defragmentation task in Task Scheduler.
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

scottgus1 wrote: 22. Dec 2023, 15:09 These would be settings inside the Windows 10 OS, not in Virtualbox. The same kind of thing might happen if migrating a physical PC's Windows 10 from a HDD to an SSD.
Does it mean, that VBox now reports an SSD to the Win10 guest but Win10 does not care for it?
Is it right that if I would create a new VM with activated checkbox "SSD" from the beginning and install Win10 after that, that Win10 would recognize the ssd and would normaly setup the configuration proper for SSD?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Miesmuschel wrote: 22. Dec 2023, 15:39 Does it mean, that VBox now reports an SSD to the Win10 guest but Win10 does not care for it?
Yes.
Miesmuschel wrote: 22. Dec 2023, 15:39 if I would create a new VM with activated checkbox "SSD" from the beginning and install Win10 after that, that Win10 would recognize the ssd and would normaly setup the configuration proper for SSD?
Quite likely.

However, a new VM would have a new hardware ID and require a new license for Windows 10, if you have activated this VM already. You could delete the hard disk file from your existing VM, make a new hard disk, and install 10 again in the existing VM on the new disk. The hardware ID should be the same in the existing VM.

If you have not activated the existing VM with a Windows 10 license, then a new VM is OK.
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

Thank you. Win10 isn't licenced yet. I think it's best to reinstall Win10, even if I have to set up the programs and settings again.