Unable to connect to VRDE - but could earlier

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
alexlake

Unable to connect to VRDE - but could earlier

Post by alexlake »

Setting up a new VBox 7.0 Host on Ubuntu 22.04 (a Hetzner server), created a VM, enabled VRDE on port 4001.
Started the VM - OK
Checked with netstat -l that port 4001 was open. Verified this via some online port checker.
However, when I try to connect with Remote Desktop from a Windows machine (mstsc.exe) I get "This computer can't connect to the remote computer."
This is very quick. In contrast, if I try connecting to port 4002, it tries for quite a while before giving the "Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:" error.
I've used this a lot over the years. This is my first time with VirtualBox 7. I'm wondering about trying VBox 6.

The funny thing is that I built a machine this morning that worked just fine, but then it stopped working - and that MIGHT be something to do with my requesting an additional IP address for the machine. I've got other older VBox installations with multiple IP addresses (that forward to the guest VMs) and they're all OK.

Any ideas?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to connect to VRDE - but could earlier

Post by scottgus1 »

First idea:
alexlake wrote: 21. Dec 2023, 14:43 Setting up a new VBox 7.0 Host
Did you add the Extension Pack?

Second:
alexlake wrote: 21. Dec 2023, 14:43 I built a machine this morning that worked just fine, but then it stopped working - and that MIGHT be something to do with my requesting an additional IP address for the machine.
Virtualbox's RDP connects to the host OS, through the host's IP address. You wouldn't connect to the VM OS's IP address for VRDE.

If neither of these help, please post exactly what you're trying, and we'll see what else can be done.
alexlake

Post by alexlake »

Thanks.

I did install the extension pack

And yes, I know about connecting to the Host IP.

As I said (although towards the end, spoiling the story) it did work to begin with.

I have since downgraded to 6.1 and found that the same VM DOES work with VRDE, so I think I'll stick with that.

Cheers!
Last edited by alexlake on 21. Dec 2023, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
alexlake

Post by alexlake »

Maybe I spoke too soon - and it's done the same thing - i.e. stopped working after "a while".
This was discovered just after installing guest additions (which I did to try and get better mouse sync).
So perhaps this nothing to do with 7.0 v 6.1.