Problems booting old virtual machines

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
boxino

Problems booting old virtual machines

Post by boxino »

Some VMs no longer start. In fact, if I try to open them, they send me an error:

Code: Select all

The VMMR0.r0 module version does not match VBoxVMM.dll/so/dylib. If you just upgraded VirtualBox, please terminate all VMs and make sure that neither VBoxNetDHCP nor VBoxNetNAT is running. Then try again. If this error persists, try re-installing VirtualBox. (VERR_VMM_R0_VERSION_MISMATCH).
Codice uscita:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005)
Componente:
ConsoleWrap
Interfaccia:
IConsole {6ad89-6ee7-4e33-8ae6-b257b28}
The only way is to close all the others and then start them. Is there a way around this? VB 7.0.12 Linux Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTSHost,Winxp guest.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 20. Dec 2023, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unusual non-descriptive web link removed
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problems booting old virtual machines

Post by scottgus1 »

Check your Extension Pack version. The Virtualbox and Extension Pack versions should match.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote: 20. Dec 2023, 19:41 The Virtualbox and Extension Pack versions should match.
While this is true, there are several other internal version numbers that also have to match. VBoxVMM.dll and VMMR0.r0 are both standard components of VirtualBox and not part of the VirtualBox Extension Pack.

Windows host specific advice: I'd suggest to uninstall VirtualBox (the VMs will be kept), reboot the host, delete the program folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox) and re-install VirtualBox.

Linux host specific advice: I'd suggest to uninstall all VirtualBox packages (the VMs will be kept), reboot the host, and re-install VirtualBox.

Edit:
Previously, I overlooked that you're using a Linux host. Added specific advice above.
Last edited by fth0 on 12. Jan 2024, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.
boxino

Post by boxino »

I also tried to create a new machine with XP but the problem remains identical. I tried to reinstall VB but it stays with the old version even unnstalling it. The same result remains at 7.09, version 7.0.12 is impossibile to install on this machine. Any further suggestions :?:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

According to fth0, you have a mix of Virtualbox versions installed, and apparently the uninstaller is not finding the mixed-up files.

You'll need to purge all Virtualbox program files (not the VMs or Virtualbox.xml) so there's no Official Virtualbox or Linux fork Virtualbox or any other Virtualbox on your Linux host, then you can install prerequisites and Official afresh, and you should be OK.
boxino

Post by boxino »

I resolve to reinstall operating system host and all programs.
Thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Nuking it from orbit is also a solution. :D
boxino

Post by boxino »