Windows XP Pro SP3 on Windows 11 chrashes Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sedi1111

Windows XP Pro SP3 on Windows 11 chrashes Host

Post by sedi1111 »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to run a Windows XP Pro SP3 VM on Windows 11 with VirtualBox 7.0.12. The Host system has an AMD Rzyen 5 7640U processor with 16GB of RAM. The VM is set up with 512 MB of RAM.

The purpose of the VM is to run old games, which I presume to be Flash games (it says "made with Macromedia" on the discs).

When running these games from ISO images mounted as discs in the VM, the VM invariably crashes after a few minutes and takes the host system with it, i.e. the computer briefly shows a BSOD and then quickly restarts. The BSOD disappears too quickly to note the reason given for the BSOD but the reason is always different.

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but the VM is running from a USB stick (data rate according to SanDisk 150 MB/s).

A log file from right before the most recent crash ist attached.

Possible error sources I can think of are wrong or too limited resources for the VM (though I don't see how that would crash the host), an issue with the ISO image access or the fact that the VM is on a USB stick. My limited understanding of the log of the most recent crash didn't indicate any cause for me. Do you happen to have any idea?

Thanks in adavance for your help.
Attachments
Windows_XP-2023-12-19-21-35-12.zip
(20.45 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
sedi1111

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 on Windows 11 chrashes Host

Post by sedi1111 »

For completeness sake, the log of the most recent crash.
Attachments
Windows_XP-2023-12-20-20-30-11.zip
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 on Windows 11 chrashes Host

Post by BillG »

USB sticks are not really satisfactory for a virtual drive. Can't you spare 512 MB of your HDD? A fast disk for the virtual drive does wonders for vm performance. I have mine on SSD.

The log shows that, for some reason, you have the Windows hypervisor enabled. This prevents the vm form using AMD-V and slows it down. See this post in the Tutorials section. viewtopic.php?t=99390
Bill