Black background, black X Cursor, and no eXit buttons?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TMRevolution

Black background, black X Cursor, and no eXit buttons?

Post by TMRevolution »

I've been running Xubuntu through VirtualBox on my Windows 10 computer for a couple of years with no problems. Suddenly yesterday, when I started it up, the normal Xubuntu wallpaper was gone (replaced with all black), the cursor had turned into a black X, and none of the apps have the eXit button anymore. I had not changed any settings.

Trying to solve this issue, I updated from VirtualBox 6 to VirtualBox 7. The installation went smoothly, but none of the problems were fixed. (However, it did create a new problem in that now the VirtualBox screen doesn't fill the computer screen anymore, but I'll worry about that later.) I can still load and use the apps inside Xubuntu, but it's annoying. Any hints about how to deal with this?

I'm attaching a screenshots and the zipped log file.

TIA
Attachments
Xubuntu-2023-12-15-08-14-30.zip
(32.98 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Screenshot_2023-12-15_07-47-46.png
Screenshot_2023-12-15_07-47-46.png (15.96 KiB) Viewed 756 times
TMRevolution

Re: Black background, black X Cursor, and no eXit buttons?

Post by TMRevolution »

I ended up solving this issue myself after doing some research.

For some reason, typing "xfwm4" into the terminal brought back the wallpaper, buttons, and regular cursor.

I still have to type this command every time I log into VirtualBox, but it definitely works.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Black background, black X Cursor, and no eXit buttons?

Post by scottgus1 »

Intriguing solution!

"xfwm4" is the Xfce 4 Window Manager, according to a Web search. This sounds like something in the VM OS is incompatible with something in the Virtualbox video system and crashes on boot.

A Bugtracker ticket with a zipped log may be good for this. You should also be able to add that command to a startup script as a workaround.