Migrate guest Windows XP from Host windows 7 to windows 10 networks use high CPU

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Hyxion14

Migrate guest Windows XP from Host windows 7 to windows 10 networks use high CPU

Post by Hyxion14 »

Hello,

I am migrating a guest machine with Windows XP 32 Bits SP3 that is on a host with Windows 7, to a machine with Host windows 10 Home / Enterprise.

The guest machine has installed a scada software that mainly uses two processes, one process displays data and the other process receives data from the network.

This machine, when it is on the Host with Windows, works correctly, but when I migrate it to the Host with windows 10, the Scada software is very slow, the two processes consume so much cpu that windows xp is very very slow.

I have observed that this happens when I connect the network cable, that is, if I turn on the windows xp machine without connecting the network cable, everything works correctly, but when I connect the network cable, the scada process that gets the information from the network, begins to consume a lot of cpu, but this problem does not occur when the host is windows 7.

The network adapter is in bridge mode, PCnet-FAST III, I have tried to change the adapter to another more basic type and it does not solve the problem and if I change it for another more advanced one it says that it cannot install the network adapter.

I have not found the solution yet, can anyone tell me why this problem occurs?

Thank you very much
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Migrate guest Windows XP from Host windows 7 to windows 10 networks use high CPU

Post by scottgus1 »

The type of network adapter may not influence the problem, if all that's happening is basic network communication. PCnet-FAST III worked fine on th eold PC, it should still work fine on the new PC.

The problem may be Windows Hyper-V on the host. Is there a green turtle: Image in the VM's Status Bar? If so, see HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)

Otherwise, please provide a log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
Hyxion14

Re: Migrate guest Windows XP from Host windows 7 to windows 10 networks use high CPU

Post by Hyxion14 »

Hello,

thanks for your help, indeed I had the turtle active.

I have managed to deactivate it and now I have the Blue symbol.

Next Tuesday I will connect the computer in production to see if this solves the problem.

Thank you very much for your help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.
Hyxion14

Post by Hyxion14 »

Hello scottgus1,

I have disabled Hyper-V, but I still get the green turtle, I can't find a way to disable it.

I attach the logs.

What do you recommend me to do to disable the turtle?

Thank you,
Attachments
1.zip
(109.65 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows Hyper-V enabled again. You did get rid of it earlier, though, so it's possible something in Windows is re-enabling it.

Getting rid of Hyper-V is detailed in the link I posted above. If you "already did all that", then try again. An additional possibility has been added. And there is a guide if Hyper-V is still enabled: search for the text "If you don't get the standard virtualization icon" then do what is said right afterwards. :wink: