[Solved] Keyboard problem

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
boxino

[Solved] Keyboard problem

Post by boxino »

Hello, often when I use virtualbox and I use the ctrl+ins and/or ctrl+v key combination suddenly, inside the virtual machine, I can no longer use it. The virtualized PC's responses to keystrokes is random. The only solution is to temporarily assign the keyboard to the virtualized PC and then disconnect it. Why does this happen? Is it a bug? Solution?

Configuration: S.O. Host Ubuntu Mate 22.04.3 LTS + Linux o Windows guest + Semico USB Keyboard. (VB 7.0.12 + installed addition)
Last edited by boxino on 16. Dec 2023, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Keyboard problem

Post by scottgus1 »

boxino wrote: 6. Dec 2023, 13:18 ctrl+ins and/or ctrl+v key combination suddenly
What does "suddenly" mean in this case?

And which Ctrl button are you using? Right or left? (Right Ctrl is the default Host key.)
boxino

Post by boxino »

I use CTRL left and right. I don't known if this is the problem but could you tell me which button to use, as host key, to minimize problems, please?
Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

scottgus1 wrote: 6. Dec 2023, 14:31 (Right Ctrl is the default Host key.)
The Host key activates Virtualbox keyboard shortcuts, just like the Ctrl key does on Windows and Linux, or the Command key on Mac.

If you tap the Host key, the Virtualbox shortcuts will start working instead of the OS shortcuts.

So since the default Host key is the right Ctrl key, by process of elimination the left Ctrl key should be used for normal OS operation.

You can also change the Host key to another key or combination of keys that you don't normally use. Then you can use both Ctrl keys as you want. See the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Input, Virtual Machine tab, Host Key Combination. I set my Host key combination to Right Shift + Right Ctrl, because I never have to hit that combination in my workflow.
boxino

Post by boxino »

Okay, i changhe Host Key Combination and now i testing this new configuration.
At this moment the problem is not present.
Thank you.
boxino

Post by boxino »

At moment the problem is solved.
Thank you :!:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Keyboard problem