unidentified network on win7 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jakemy

unidentified network on win7 guest

Post by jakemy »

I have a Windows 7 guest OS running under a Windows 7 SP1 x64 host. The VirtualBox network settings are "attached to: Internal Network on three machines of Virtual box .running VirtualBox Version 6.1.22 on host.i am trying to create network of three machines on virtualbox. guest adapter indicates "unidentified network" on all the three ,can't change network location to home and create HomeGroup. IP adress: 192.168.1.71,192.168.1.72,192.168.1.73 respectively no default gateway assigned .
the IP Address on host 192.168.1.100 default gateway 192.168.1.1
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: unidentified network on win7 guest

Post by scottgus1 »

jakemy wrote: 6. Dec 2023, 04:41 no default gateway assigned .
I think this is the problem. A network with no gateway doesn't get identified in Windows. Your could research how to get by this with tweaks to the Windows OS if such is possible.

FWIW an internal network won't have a gateway. But a NAT Network (not plain NAT) will have a gateway. Be sure to set the IP address range for the NAT Network to the 192.168.1.#/24 range you have in the VMs before you start the VMs for the first time when connected to the NAT Network, so its DHCP and gateway can set up correctly.
jakemy

Post by jakemy »

I think this is the problem. A network with no gateway doesn't get identified in Windows
i have assigned gateway IP:192.168.1.1 nothing change,
Your could research how to get by this with tweaks to the Windows OS if such is possible
what does it mean?

i want to create workgroup on guest machines without internet connection,using internal network adapter of virtual machine
for networking practice ,sharing resources ,folders and so on
i want to create homegroup on woindows 7 and this "unidentified network" prevent me from getting into it
or any other way to get work done,creating homegroup
Last edited by jakemy on 6. Dec 2023, 16:40, edited 3 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox Internal does not give an "identifiable" network to Windows. How to force Windows to "identify" the network anyway is a Windows question, not a Virtualbox question. You'll need to ask Microsoft.

A suggestion was given to use NAT Network, which does have a hateway and does identify to Windows 7. However, it also gives internet, which qualification was not put in the first post and is therefore changing the problem mid-way.

jakemy wrote: 6. Dec 2023, 16:28 i have assigned gateway IP:192.168.1.1 nothing change,
That means for the Windows 7 OS's to look at 192.168.1.1 to find a gateway. An Internal network will not connect to your computer's physical network, so the Internal network will not find your physical network's gateway, even if the IP addresses are the same.

According to the manual, Virtualbox does not have a "gateway" device to insert into an Internal network.

FWIW I never had to make a Home Group to get Windows 7 to share folders and access other OSs' network services. Web-search how to enable file and printer sharing in Windows 7.

If English is not your native language, please feel free to use your native language and we can use translation services.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I had to delete your duplicate post in Windows Guests on this subject. Duplicates aren't allowed. I'll move this topic to Windows Guests instead.