Delete snapshots without merging

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
chameau
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 pro

Delete snapshots without merging

Post by chameau »

Host = Linux Manjaro Cinnamon edition
Guest = Windows 7pro
Following the recent update to 7.0.12 I had some issues with my Win7 VM, luckily I managed to get a working VM by restoring to 'snapshot1' while It did not downgrade VirtualBox (it's still 7.0.12 r159484), at least 'Guest Addition 7.0.12' (which caused the problem) is gone. When I run the VM, it wants me to update Guest Addition from 7.0.4 to 7.0.12 I just ignore it.
I have been following (on this forum) the post about the issues with 'Guest Addition 7.0.12' it's a bit beyond my understanding, I know there are fixes but they are still in the 'Test Build' I will wait for the new release from my repo.
My question is as follow:
I have 3 snapshots and Current State
I want to keep snapshot1 and Current State (that may become snapshot4)
I want to delete snapshot 2 and 3 but I don't want to merge them into snapshot1 or current state
How do I proceed?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Delete snapshots without merging

Post by mpack »

I wouldn't use snapshots without a gun to my head so I'm not au fait with the wording, but yes: snapshots have separate delete and revert verbs. The latter effectively discards all data created after the chosen snapshot time.

"Merge" is not a verb used anywhere in the docs, hence I suggest that thinking in such terms will only cause confusion.

The correct way to think about snapshots is as markers on a timeline. You can restore the VM to any point in time you have marked (you do not care how this is implemented). If you delete a marker (delete a snapshot) then you lose the ability to revert to that moment in time, but deleting the marker causes no obvious change to the current state of the VM.

So in answer to your question: in fact the question is misplaced since deleting snapshots never results in "merging".
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Delete snapshots without merging

Post by fth0 »

chameau wrote: 14. Nov 2023, 19:40 I want to keep snapshot1 and Current State (that may become snapshot4).
If you combine this statement with mpack's correct modeling of snapshots as timeline markers, the following statement is wrong:
chameau wrote: 14. Nov 2023, 19:40 I want to delete snapshot 2 and 3 but I don't want to merge them into snapshot1 or current state
You do want to merge snapshots 2 and 3 with the current state to keep the current state.
mpack wrote: 15. Nov 2023, 12:14 "Merge" is not a verb used anywhere in the docs
The VirtualBox User Manual begs to differ. ;)