Emails

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rcpilot

Emails

Post by rcpilot »

Hi
Start with the story so far :- Long time ago I bought the bits to construct a desktop pc, everything went great, obviously as time went by new OS had to be installed again all went well until microsoft decided not to support my epson scanner 1250 so I heard about virtual box.
Downloaded the software and all went well, if I needed to work on anything I scanned I simply sent it to my host pc via email.
Great until now, as I renewed my OS to win 10 and did not use virtual box with the scanner on it I uninstalled it. I found that I did not require a scanner so never bothered to buy a one that was supported on win 10.
Along came a single use of a scanner which I thought virtual box would handle, I downloaded it but could not put the scanner on it well after many days I finally managed to put the scanner on it then the problems started, as I needed to send it to my host pc I thought "use email" I configured outlook express (the guest OS is win xp pro) but could not send the email.
I do not know if it is outlook express that is causing the problems or what, do you thing it might be better if I put a current email client on the guest OS and try that or what. Could it be I have outlook express configured wrong, it has the same configuration as my email client on the host pc.
All help appreciated
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Emails

Post by scottgus1 »

Congrats on getting the scanner working in a VM!

The email problem is probably because XP can no longer talk correctly to the modern internet, see No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest.

If the intent of emailing was to get the file onto the host, then Virtualbox Shared Folders, enabled by Guest Additions, may be a lot easier. See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... redfolders

There have been a few versions of Guest Additions that have had a couple bugs lately. Please state what version of Virtualbox you're running, and we can guide what Guest Additions you may need.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Hi thanks for the reply, I think I know what the problem is, the guest os is not connected to the internet, how you do that is beyond me, a full and guided explination on how it's done would be great.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

One was given, in the "No Internet" link above.

Forget about emailing the file, it won't work anymore. Describe what you need to do and we'll look into other options.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

hi
I need to send the scanned document to the host as it needs to be put in a folder for future reference or to be worked on and I don't want to be opening virtualbox every time to do that.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

rcpilot wrote: 14. Nov 2023, 12:41 I need to send the scanned document to the host as it needs to be put in a folder for future reference or to be worked on
Virtualbox Shared Folders will make this happen. See above.
rcpilot wrote: 14. Nov 2023, 12:41 I don't want to be opening virtualbox every time to do that.
If "that" is scanning a document, then you must run the VM to run the scanner, since your host cannot run the scanner.

If "that" is working on the document's scan file in the VM because it is not on the host, then passing it to the host through the Virtualbox Shared Folder right after you scan it is the solution.

Have you actually tried the idea of Virtualbox Shared Folders yet?
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Hi
I looked at and tried vuescan it works fine with my perfection 1250 scanner only problem is it puts a watermark on the scanned doc, and I am not going to spend £100 on the licence to remove it, might as well buy a new scanner. Anyone know of a program like vuescan that does not put a watermark on the scanned doc.
Shared folders? can you send the scanned doc to the host and put it in a file so that it is accessible when virtual box is not open, if so how do you do that, totally confused now need all the help I can get but in a simple form ie press that button then press that one etc etc.
ken
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No idea about Vuescan or free alternatives. Office 2003 ran on XP and was able to scan. Maybe you can find an old copy and the product key on sale.

A shared folder is a folder that multiple computers over a network can copy files into and out of. One computer hosts the shared folder, and other computers can access it to put files in or take files out.

Did you read the link above about Virtualbox's Shared Folders?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

rcpilot wrote: 15. Nov 2023, 15:04 Anyone know of a program like vuescan that does not put a watermark on the scanned doc.
A free scan app that works with a 20 year old guest OS? I'm afraid that's a big ask. You'll have to research it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: 15. Nov 2023, 15:18 A shared folder is a folder that multiple computers over a network can copy files into and out of. One computer hosts the shared folder, and other computers can access it to put files in or take files out.
And it's purposely designed for scenarios like this, where you want the files to be accessible to multiple PCs.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Hi
No "mpack" a scan app that works for a perfection1250 like vuescan on windows 10 not in virtual box
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Ok, asked this before multiple times but it keeps getting missed:

Did you read the link above about Virtualbox's Shared Folders?
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

hi scottgus1
Yes I read the file and decided to give it a go, did as directed in the quick menu guide (word for word) opened up the virtual machine no shared folder on the desktop where do I go from there?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks. Let's see how things are going.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Get logged in, open the Start menu's Run... and type \\vboxsvr then Enter, see if \\vboxsvr comes up. If not, shut down the VM from within the VM's OS.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

here is the log file you asked for
VBox.zip
(33.08 KiB) Downloaded 31 times