Virtual disk in Devuan 5.0

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Welke

Virtual disk in Devuan 5.0

Post by Welke »

Recently I had installed vbox to try linux (devuan), I've installed it, and created vdi. with 20 gb. When I've opened file manager in linux, in devices was only file system, with 1.2 gb, in computer section were also vbox harddisk and cd-rom, but they didn't open (if they must). I installed also ubuntu, I didn't use it long, only wanted to see same things, there was my created vdi., where all system files were. So, what I should to do in devuan to fix problem? Must be there only one working disk in generally? I never used vbox, so I really don't know how to configure all these things, Internet-researching didn't help me
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtual disk in Devuan 5.0

Post by scottgus1 »

Welke wrote: 10. Nov 2023, 17:58 When I've opened file manager in linux, in devices was only file system, with 1.2 gb, in computer section were also vbox harddisk and cd-rom, but they didn't open
I'm no Linux guru, but I recall that you might be able to access the hard disk and CD-ROM from the /home folder.

The CD-ROM might need to have something in it to open up, maybe?

Web-searching general Devuan websites may help. An OS in a VM almost always behaves the same way the OS would behave on a real PC.
Welke

Post by Welke »

scottgus1 wrote: 10. Nov 2023, 18:02
Welke wrote: 10. Nov 2023, 17:58 When I've opened file manager in linux, in devices was only file system, with 1.2 gb, in computer section were also vbox harddisk and cd-rom, but they didn't open
I'm no Linux guru, but I recall that you might be able to access the hard disk and CD-ROM from the /home folder.

The CD-ROM might need to have something in it to open up, maybe?

Web-searching general Devuan websites may help. An OS in a VM almost always behaves the same way the OS would behave on a real PC.
It's right, harddisk and cd-rom really are located in /home, but they don't open and haven't any data on itself. I am not sure that websites about linux/devuan will even help me tbh, as here the problem is connected with vbox working and it's feauters. I will remind, in ubuntu my vdi. works, there is size I've put and there are all files, I haven't clue what's problem with devuan, in vbox concretely
FX8370core

Post by FX8370core »

How have you configured the 20G for Devuan? Fixed or variable? How have you installed Devuan Daedalus? The 1.2G sounds like a separate /boot possibly?

Anyway, Devuan is no different from Debian except for banning systemd.

Where exactly did you open the file manager? In Devuan or on your host?

Anyway, I am running Devuan and have many installations of VBox running Devuan as well as Debian and others with no problem.

Edith: Devuan support can be obtaind on this forum: https://dev1galaxy.org/
Last edited by FX8370core on 19. Nov 2023, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
FX8370core

Post by FX8370core »

Another thought: if I understand your posts correctly you have placed the VBox files in the default location which is your /home drive.

By chance: is the home drive full or close to full?