no shared folder in Ubuntu 22.04.3

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
just4lynne

no shared folder in Ubuntu 22.04.3

Post by just4lynne »

I recently Installed 22.04 LTS and installed the Virtual Box 7.0 something what ever newest Version was and Downloaded the Extension Pack let Virtual Box Install it ! ! . . NOW Can't access files in the Shared folder .Says Guest Addition NOT INSTALLED . Not even there and will not connect to the web . . What is going on ? . .Need a ISO of the Extension pack so the DVD can be used to install it . . Every thing Windows / Sketchup needs is in Shared folder Folder an files and all else . .
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: no shared folder in Ubuntu 22.04.3

Post by scottgus1 »

If your Virtualbox is telling you that you need to download the Guest Additions, then you're using the Ubuntu fork of Virtualbox supported by Ubuntu. You can download Guest Additions here: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/

Note that we don't support the forks here. We do support official Virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org, though.
just4lynne

OS Parrot on VBOX cannot access shared folder on Ubuntu Host

Post by just4lynne »

Where is this Group name at ? Never added a group name to anything that i know of . .All of the files needed for running Sketchup Make is in the shared folder Also can't see USB ( flash drives ) Need the Extension thing in a ISO so I can add it to a CD and load it the one that is on the Virtual Box site will NOT INSTALL at all Which make Virtual Box totally useless ! ! . .
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please read my post above about installing Guest Additions.

And please remember that we cannot know what is in your mind to fill in what you're typing. Try to describe in as reasonably detailed as possible, in the King's English, or in your native language, so we can fully tell what is your problem. Stream of consciousness posts are hard to interpret.
just4lynne

Post by just4lynne »

I have =the file down loaded from Virtual Box for the Extension pack and It says it was installed but I can not get to the Shared folders or to USB Flash drives . . Said to do a copy and past of the log Files so here it is ! . . When Iry to use or find any thing it says to install the Guest Pack Additions . . Again !

mod edit: log snippet deleted.
just4lynne

Post by just4lynne »

Had to cut off 140,000 lines of code as it says only allowed 60,000 lines of code on the log file :( :( :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thank you for the further information.

The log can be zipped and posted using the forum's Attachments tab. But the log is not needed for this problem.
scottgus1 wrote: 13. Nov 2023, 00:49 Please read my post above about installing Guest Additions.
just4lynne wrote: 13. Nov 2023, 02:05 I have =the file down loaded from Virtual Box for the Extension pack
Do you see the problem? You need Guest Additions. Yet you have downloaded the Extension Pack. These are different downloads, named differently, for different purposes. Downloading the wrong one will not get you the right one.

The link I gave you will allow you to download the Guest Additions ISO for the version of Virtualbox you are using. Hint, the correct download has "Guest Additions" in the name, not "Extension Pack". :wink:

After you have the Guest Additions ISO, select the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list. Then click "Optical Drive" in the VM's Storage section. In the popup menu click "Choose a Disk File" then browse to and choose the downloaded Guest Additions file. This should insert the Guest Additions "CD" into the VM's CD drive. Run the Guest Additions installer in the VM's CD drive, inside the VM.