Speech and sounds cut off at the end

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
rw3eer4t4ertw

Speech and sounds cut off at the end

Post by rw3eer4t4ertw »

I'm playing 3d dinosaur adventure: anniversary edition on Windows 98 emulation (also tried 98se and 95).If you click on certain things, the plays a sound, some guy talking. But for some reason it just cuts the speech off a couple seconds too short and it's real annoying. I tried reinstalling and update virtualbox. I do have the 256 graphics installed. I honestly fiddled with some other stuff following youtube guides desperately to no avail. I'm coming back, now here to these forums to see if anyone knows what might cause this.

It's weird because before I reinstalled windows, I had the exact same setup, and did not have this problem at all.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Speech and sounds cut off at the end

Post by scottgus1 »

rw3eer4t4ertw wrote: 4. Nov 2023, 23:23 before I reinstalled windows, I had the exact same setup, and did not have this problem at all.
Windows host or 98 in the VM?

If the host, did you copy the 98 VM over as a backup, or did you re-make the VM?

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
rw3eer4t4ertw

Post by rw3eer4t4ertw »

scottgus1 wrote: 5. Nov 2023, 00:11
rw3eer4t4ertw wrote: 4. Nov 2023, 23:23 before I reinstalled windows, I had the exact same setup, and did not have this problem at all.

If the host, did you copy the 98 VM over as a backup, or did you re-make the VM?

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
I'm so out of it today sorry. I meant, when I reinstalled windows host (Windows 10 that I use on my entire computer). I also forgot to say the name of the game, its 3-D DINOSAUR ADVENTURE: ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Here's the log
VBox.zip
(27.24 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
rw3eer4t4ertw

Post by rw3eer4t4ertw »

scottgus1 wrote: 5. Nov 2023, 00:11

Have you gotten a chance to look at the logs? Would greatly appreciate any help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry for the delay, I forgot about this one.

The VM looks OK, maybe more video RAM than possibly was normal in a 98-era PC. SoundBlaster audio is Virtualbox's default for 98, too.

I'm not to knowledgeable about audio or games in a VM, those aren't what I do with my VMs. Maybe a forum guru can weigh in.

Did you copy the 98 VM over as a backup, or did you re-make the VM?
rw3eer4t4ertw

Post by rw3eer4t4ertw »

scottgus1 wrote: 13. Nov 2023, 01:36 Sorry for the delay, I forgot about this one.

The VM looks OK, maybe more video RAM than possibly was normal in a 98-era PC. SoundBlaster audio is Virtualbox's default for 98, too.

I'm not to knowledgeable about audio or games in a VM, those aren't what I do with my VMs. Maybe a forum guru can weigh in.

Did you copy the 98 VM over as a backup, or did you re-make the VM?

I completely remade it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

rw3eer4t4ertw wrote: 17. Nov 2023, 06:48 I completely remade it.
Ooooo, that's a bummer. A VM can be copied to a new host in an exact bit-for-bit identical nature. Copy the VM folder, then register the copy's .vbox file.

If the VM were copied exactly, then only host differences would be possible for causing the problem. With a new VM, anything could have changed or installed differently. Or it may be new drivers on the host that were not there before.

At this moment I'd be guessing. We'll have to wait for a forum Windows 95/98 guru. Or try Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes