Help with Windows 3.1x and 98se

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Froggy

Help with Windows 3.1x and 98se

Post by Froggy »

Windows 3.11 for Workgroup.

Why isn't there a video card that the driver is easy to get.
Why isn't there a NE2000 compatible network card
Why isn't Sound with MIDI with the Sound Blaster 16, this true other host Windows.

Windows 9x

I using Windows 3.11 with a mouse driver that doesn't capture the mouse. These times in my life I use the OSK and a mouse in the host but if VM Virtualbox capture the mouse I can't hit the right control key.

Other
The ability to disable mouse capture even if that mean there be no mouse support in os that doesn't support mouse integration.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Help with Windows 3.1x and 98se

Post by scottgus1 »

Please see our Tutorials for Windows Guests, which have topics covering 3.1 and 98. viewforum.php?f=28

As for the "why"s, please try the tutorials to see if things will work that way. Sometimes once one solution is found, other solutions are not pursued, especially on such old "works but is not officially supported" OS's.

Also see viewtopic.php?t=105394 and viewtopic.php?t=105144 for some user-rolled add-ons that might help for mouse integration and MIDI.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, Windows 3.1 is hardly a priority in 2023, but I'm sure the devs would be delighted to work on those features if you can come up with the cash to pay for development. How much cash did you plan to contribute?
javispedro
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Old & New Windows, Linux

Post by javispedro »

I think the ability to prevent mouse capture is a valid request, independent of the guest OS. If you are using a OSK (e.g. accessibility issues), any capture of the mouse is bound to create quite a big impediment. The obvious answer is to "avoid clicking on the guest area", but as it is so big, mistakes happen. Is there perhaps a way to prevent mouse autocapture even if you click on the guest area?

Alternatively (if you focus on DOS or 3.1x) you may use my VBADOS tools mentioned above, since they will enable the seamless mouse integration, hopefully making accidentally captured mouse less of a problem...