No higher resolutions available after W10 update

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dkpntx

No higher resolutions available after W10 update

Post by dkpntx »

I am having this same exact problem with Windows 10 Host and Windows 10 guest OS. I did what was requested above to start the VM, change display resolution, shutdown and then save the log file. I also have uninstalled/reinstalled guest additions with no change. I'm running VBox 7.0.10 in host and same for guest additions.

This was working just fine for me for at least 2 months until just this week. I believe the only thing that changed is a windows update. I was on VBox 7.0.8 until yesterday when I upgraded to 7.0.10 in both host/guest hoping that it would fix the issue, but it did not.
Attachments
A6444221-VM-1-2023-10-11-10-03-24.zip
(33.11 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
dkpntx

Re: No higher resolutions available after W10 update

Post by dkpntx »

scottgus1 wrote: 22. Dec 2021, 20:40 Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Try to make the screen the size you want, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
scottgus1:
I have done this and attached my log files in my previous post. I guess it got lost in the shuffle as its been like 12 days and no replies, so I replied to your original post this time. Any help is appreciated. I've done everything I know at this point and cannot get any resolution above 1280x960.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the log. Though it shows 7.0.10 Guest Additions installed in the VM, it does not show full startup of Guest Additions services.

Please try uninstalling the GAs, reboot the VM, then install them again, paying attention to any error messages in the installer.
dkpntx

Post by dkpntx »

I missed your reply, so its been a while.
I uninstalled, rebooted twice and re-installed guest additions and rebooted twice. I also paid attention to the installer for any errors and saw none. I also looked through the installer logs and found a few error lines related to certificate stores.

The log was mostly filled with a bunch of certificate information from my system from executing VBoxCertUtil.exe.
At the end of all this is has 1 line saying : error CertEnumSystemStore failed on 0x50000: 'Services' : 0x2 (2)
Then it has 5 lines saying CertOpenStore failed opening XYZ SmartCardRoot
Then it says Execution completed with exit code: 0 and the log continues without any further errors.

I attached the two installation logs I found as well for reference.

I use a smartcard for authentication on both my host machine and the VM. Its my companies Windows 10 image.

This has not fixed the problem.
Attachments
A6444221-VM-1-2023-12-07-14-30-26.zip
(36.4 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by dkpntx on 11. Dec 2023, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

dkpntx wrote: 7. Dec 2023, 23:05 I attached the two installation logs I found as well for reference.
Thanks for sharing the installation log files. They don't indicate any error about installing VBoxTray.exe (more on that below). I don't think that the certificate enumeration failures play a role for your issue.
dkpntx wrote: 7. Dec 2023, 23:05 The log was mostly filled with a bunch of certificate information from my system
Depending on your company's policy, you might want to remove the installation log files. ;)

To elaborate on what scottgus1 was talking about:

The VBoxTray.exe application should be automatically started after VBoxService.exe in the guest OS (usually via a registry key in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\). VBoxTray.exe would then generate the log messages missing in the A6444221-VM-1-2023-12-07-14-30-26.log file, and especially VBoxTray.exe is needed to support the display resolution changes. In consequence, you should investigate inside the Windows guest OS why VBoxTray.exe couldn't be started.
dkpntx

Post by dkpntx »

Ok. I can look into why that app is not launching automatically and/or try to run it by hand and see if that helps.