Windows VM blue screens then won't shut down, have to reboot entire host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Red Squirrel

Re: Windows VM blue screens then won't shut down, have to reboot entire host

Post by Red Squirrel »

So I got around to clean installing and installing from PPA. Basically get the same issue. If a VM sits idle for a while it basically crashes, which makes the entire Vbox program unusable until I reboot. If I try to open it again, it just opens 2 entries in the task bar, and nothing else happens.

The crash is a bit different though, instead of a BSOD it's just a bunch of colour glitches. Log has a ton of errors that it couldn't take a screenshot, not sure why it's trying to take a screenshot that many times.

Log is too big to attach, even compressed so here is a link to it: https://www.uogateway.com/misc/vbox.txt

This is how it looked when it crashed:
Screenshot from 2024-01-02 22-00-43.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-02 22-00-43.png (72.99 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
And this is what happens when I try to relaunch vbox after. Only way to get it to work again is to reboot:
Screenshot from 2024-01-02 22-01-37.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-02 22-01-37.png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
I've had this problem on every single Linux install ever on every machine ever that I tried to use it. I really don't get what I could be doing wrong or why I'm the only one with this issue.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Red Squirrel wrote: 3. Jan 2024, 05:12 Log has a ton of errors that it couldn't take a screenshot, not sure why it's trying to take a screenshot that many times.
Those screenshots are for the Preview window in the VirtualBox Manager. During a normal VM start, there are a few seconds when the screenshots aren't possible and the corresponding log message is written. You can configure the delay between the screenshots by right clicking on the Preview window.
Red Squirrel wrote: 3. Jan 2024, 05:12 I've had this problem on every single Linux install ever on every machine ever that I tried to use it. I really don't get what I could be doing wrong or why I'm the only one with this issue.
Your main problem is still the same, and I almost forgot that I already told you multiple times in this thread. I don't understand why you "don't get" it.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

I fixed that problem though I'm using the PPA now. I fully uninstalled the one that came with distro and installed from the PPA. Only other thing I can maybe try is to install from source.
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

So this seems to be fixed as I had two Windows 7 VMs running for a week straight now idling and it has not crashed. I ended up creating a local raid 10 array to rule out NFS being an issue and guess it was.

This is more of a bandaid solution but it will at least tie me over until I build a Proxmox cluster which will enable me to have proper console access to VMs. Right now my main VM infrastructure is ESXi so still need a local VM to run the ESXi client which is kind of clunky.