I have installed Ubuntu but it asks me for the administrator password

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
menteazul

Post by menteazul »

It's strange, I created a user in the virtual machine, and an account all in one, but when I want to install a program or update something it asks me for the administrator password, and none of the passwords I have work. What is the administrator? I leave it blank and I also get an error
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: I have installed Ubuntu but it asks me for the administrator password

Post by mpack »

Ubuntu (and Linux in general) always separates normal users from admin users. Only admins can do anything that changes the system. Normal users can be temporarily elevated to admin level using "sudo" and an admin password.

These are Linux matters and not something particular to VirtualBox VMs. This is not the place to get Linux tuition!

If you used the "unattended install" feature of VirtualBox to create the VM then try using "changeme" as the admin password - and change that password soon after!
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote: 18. Oct 2023, 15:17 Normal users can be temporarily elevated to admin level using "sudo" and an admin password.
Small correction: When using "sudo", the normal user inputs their normal user password, not an admin password.
den0v07

Post by den0v07 »

To quickly answer the concern: Virtual Box does an unattended setup by default. This creates a user without sudo access which is not what anyone wants. When installing the Ubuntu 22.04.3 (version at the time of posting) you want to Skip Unattended Setup. If it doesn't ask about your location and various other setup questions you most likely did an unattended setup, remove and try again.
Last edited by den0v07 on 20. Nov 2023, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.