VBox 7.0.12 GA cannot verify digital signature Windows 7

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.12 release here

Post by FranceBB »

By the way, I know I'm late to the party, but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! May 2024 bring plenty more people together to this awesome project! :)

Now, that being said, 2023 is coming to an end and it's basically 2024, which means that in as little as 1 year Fedora will ditch X11 in favour of Wayland.
Although Fedora has always been at the forefront of Linux development and it's considered bleeding edge, it's probable that other distro will follow soon after that as desktop environments like GNOME and KDE are already getting ready with the required changes.
The reason why I'm bringing this up is that Virtualbox is using X11/Xorg only, which means that even when it runs on a Wayland system, it will still fallback on XWayland as it expects X11, while running it forcibly on Wayland makes it segfault viewtopic.php?t=110046

So, Klaus, the question is: can we expect Wayland support in 2024? Perhaps this summer?

This is pretty important not just for Fedora but also cause, eventually, the Fedora code base ends up in RHEL

Rawhide -> Fedora -> CentOS -> RHEL

so in the future that's gonna be a problem for enterprise users too, therefore it would be better to have it addressed with official support sooner rather than later.
Normann1974

Re: Discuss the VirtualBox 7.0.12 release here

Post by Normann1974 »

FranceBB wrote: 28. Dec 2023, 01:11
Normann1974 wrote: 28. Dec 2023, 00:41 Bug report here: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21875
No need, the guest additions signing issue was solved in the test builds.
Download them from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
install the new guest additions and it's gonna work ;)
Yes, that's what that bug report says (wasn't mine). :-)

/Jan
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

Re: VBox 7.0.12 GA cannot verify digital signature Windows 7

Post by ant »

It looks like yesterday's .14 releases fixed this issue.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

Alas, it took 3 months for 7.0.14 to appear.
What is weird, is that 7.0.12 was left in GA this long in spite of the fix being known and available in the test builds soon afterwards.
This was not best practice; it should have been pulled off or repackaged with working Guest Additions, but not leaving users struggling with recovering their systems.
Anyway, thank God this one is over.
ant

Post by ant »

Simple07 wrote: 18. Jan 2024, 17:21 Alas, it took 3 months for 7.0.14 to appear.
What is weird, is that 7.0.12 was left in GA this long in spite of the fix being known and available in the test builds soon afterwards.
This was not best practice; it should have been pulled off or repackaged with working Guest Additions, but not leaving users struggling with recovering their systems.
Anyway, thank God this one is over.
I agree.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Sorry, there were test builds available for 2 months already which resolved the signing problems. So I don't understand why there are complaints about the release being late when everyone could just grab the test build and get rid of the issue.

Releases are done on a quarterly schedule, with extremely few exceptions.
Simple07

Post by Simple07 »

Hi Klaus,
It is regrettable you misunderstood my post!
My post was not a complaint about the next release taking 3 months. It was about leaving a seriously bugged release in GA status for 3 months and not pulling it back or repackaging it when the solution was already available.
I probably was the first to report the bug and how to recover from it and other than the time spent on that, I did not suffer much.
I also reported the issue about Drag and Drop, but whilst this might be very important for some users, it is not a showstopper, because one can overcome this limitation by creating a shared folder or running VirtualBox as administrator.
I'll tell you about a serious issue that I faced with Windows 11 long time back, it is still valid, and people are not warned about it. I installed it as a second OS on my laptop in its early days, and one day I decided to upgrade and reset my BIOS, clearing TPM. The rest is history.
Kind regards. Simple.
NullCyan1010

Post by NullCyan1010 »

Simple07 wrote: 17. Oct 2023, 14:52 I tried a number of solutions, including registry editing, nothing worked.

But what worked for me is, start an Administrative CMD and run "bcdedit /set testsigning on"

Rebooted and successfully installed VirtualBox Guest Additions 7.0.12.
Thanks, that worked perfectly on windows 7 ultimate on virtualbox 7.0.12 r159484 on a Debian host
ant

Post by ant »

Is it me or is this issue back in v7.0.16 as shown in viewtopic.php?p=542247?