Issues with Ubuntu 23.10 and Linux 6.5

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Bertus45
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Fourteen Windows/Linux

Issues with Ubuntu 23.10 and Linux 6.5

Post by Bertus45 »

There are a growing number of incompatibilities between Linux and Virtualbox:
- On the install of the Ubuntu 23.10 VM (Linux 6.5) the network did not work. Probably the first time it happens to me in say 10 years. Host OS is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with Virtualbox 7.0.10 and Linux 6.2. After installation the Ubuntu 23.10 network started working again.
- A screen freeze happens to me randomly on many VMs (Linux and Windows). Without 3D it freezes less frequently.
- Also here the VM screen did freeze during first boot and only "power-off" helped. The VBoxGuestAdditions_7.0.11-159406 is somewhat better, but not good yet, because:
- After a reboot, the VM screen is partly garbled for say 2 seconds and afterwards it is readable again for 5 seconds and that process repeats.

I use Virtualbox since 2009 (the times of SUN Microsystems) and I have around ~70 Virtualbox VMs from Windows 1.04 to Windows 11 and Ubuntu 4.10 till Ubuntu 23.10.
Linux 6.5 has been released 27 August 2023, by now Oracle should have added support for that Linux release, Oracle is falling too far behind and I have the feeling the original high quality is slowly descreasing with each new Linux release.
Jaime643

Re: Issues with Ubuntu 23.10 and Linux 6.5

Post by Jaime643 »

See also 'Ubuntu 23.10 fails to open shared folders with 'sudo apt install g++ make'. Could be related.
Last edited by Jaime643 on 17. Oct 2023, 09:30, edited 6 times in total.
AlexisWilke

Post by AlexisWilke »

I ran in that problem and version 7.0.12 probably helps. It generally feels faster, although I'd have to see with my older virtualbox systems if anything feels different...

However, for Ubuntu 23.10, it did not help much. I would say about half of the slow issues were fixed. The other half was still stuck for ages when it shouldn't be. I then changed the settings to boot & install Ubuntu using 1 CPU instead of 16. That worked. Now it booted quickly. Offered a few setup windows that I could quickly tweak and accept. And the installation itself felt faster too and worked without errors (outside of "could not eject cdrom" error).

So jumping to 7.0.12 may not have been required. Since I'm there, I'll keep using the version on the edge. It looks nice (newer interface) and there are probably some bug fixes that would not be in 6.x.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

AlexisWilke wrote: 5. Nov 2023, 00:33 install Ubuntu using 1 CPU instead of 16
Lots of processors in a VM may not help unless there's apps that will use them. Try 2 processors for just a modern OS and typical web browsing and office work stuff.
Bertus45
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Fourteen Windows/Linux

Post by Bertus45 »

Why should I slow down the VM artificially by limiting it to 1 CPU? I run a number of apps at the same time, like transmission; kde-connect; caprine (facebook messenger); whatsie; evolution and occasionally I also run Firefox. Besides I run apps that use all my 4 cores for converting multimedia files.
However you are right, if the screen freeze happens too frequently, I could run the VM on one core. I try it with the Ubuntu 16.04 ESM VM, that I use for my financial stuff.

A more positive note for a solved issue. I had another issue with a slow incremental backup (send | ssh receive) that took 1 to 2 hours, while the transfer speed dropped to a few MB or even KB or sometimes the transfer halted for ~10 seconds. In Ubuntu 23.10 and OpenZFS 2.2 it now takes ~10 minutes constantly keeping the transfer speed >80MB/s. By the way the backup is from 2GB desktop HDD to 2GB laptop HDD.