Increase VB Disk Size on LinuxMint

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ArcticMan

Increase VB Disk Size on LinuxMint

Post by ArcticMan »

My VB is 6.1.38_Ubuntu r153438 installed on Linux 20.3 Cinnamon and includes Windows XP-PRO. The disk size is 10GB and I would like to increase to 20GB.

Using the Virtual Media Manager in VB I can increase the disk size to 20GB but I have a problem doing the same on the disk itself using the GParted utility because as I understand it may corrupt my files.

Reading I notice I can use the Windows command line but the command is using C:\Program Files\Virtualbox and what I have is C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions and in there I have VBoxControl.exe which I think that is the required file. I also have under Linux file system the file XP-PRO Service Pack2.vdi among other VB files.

Can you please tell me the best way to increase my disk size?

Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Increase VB Disk Size on LinuxMint

Post by scottgus1 »

Please see How to Resize a Drive
ArcticMan wrote: 16. Oct 2023, 16:56 I have a problem doing the same on the disk itself using the GParted utility because as I understand it may corrupt my files.
Not a problem, because you've made a backup copy of the disk file in the host OS, file-compared to confirm backup integrity, as you always do when dealing with data you would be upset about losing. In fact, you may already have such a backup in your regular host disk images, though it may be a day or two out of date.

Please note, though, what is said in the tutorial about if your VM has snapshots.

Virtualbox does not have tools to rearrange partitions inside the VM's disk file.