kubuntu UBSAN error after latest distro push

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
spiperman957

kubuntu UBSAN error after latest distro push

Post by spiperman957 »

Unfortunately I got hit by a major update error 9-Oct. Over 200 packages were pushed for Kubuntu 22.04. It basically bricked my system GUI - but I could use GRUB and get to a console and save the data. Two main errors were visible on the console - #1 was a pci bus error that seems to have been resolved through rebuilding the system from scratch. The second is a UBSAN error that seems to be attributed to virtualbox. I have also posted this over in "ask ubuntu" but very little traction there. Does anyone have any experience with this or know how to resolve it? The error causes the computer hang on boot and will time-out after about 30 seconds or so, the boot continues. Also the system will not "restart" reliably. A full power off then start does work, but the error does not resolve.
Photo attached is from the boot process. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in /tmp/vbox.0/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:<range of numbers>:<range of numbers>
index <the numbers range 1-10> is out-of-range for type 'page *[1]'

UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:<range of numbers>:<range of numbers>
index <the numbers range 1-10> is out-of-range for type 'SUPGIPCPU [1]'
UBSAN @boot and @shut down
UBSAN @boot and @shut down
UBSAN_Error-2_sm.jpg (127.39 KiB) Viewed 30220 times
My VBox info: Version 7.0.10 r158379 (Qt5.15.3)

My computer info: Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04 - KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7 - KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0 - Qt Version: 5.15.3 -
Kernel Version: 6.5.4-76060504-generic (64-bit) - Graphics Platform: X11 - Processors: 32 × AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor - Memory: 61.9 GiB of RAM - Graphics Processor: NV174
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: kubuntu UBSAN error after latest distro push

Post by fth0 »

Similar issues (*) have been fixed in the VirtualBox test builds 7.0.11r159409 and newer. Please give it a try and report back.

(*) Some of the known and fixed issues previously led to warnings regarding potential out-of-bound accesses, but they were false positives.
spiperman957

Post by spiperman957 »

Thanks for suggestion - I will have to save my VMs before trying. I'll need a day or so. Historically are the minor test builds stable enough for production? I'll test regardless, just wondering if I'll have to go back. Thanks.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

spiperman957 wrote: 13. Oct 2023, 00:19 Historically are the minor test builds stable enough for production?
Yes, although nobody can promise that. ;)

But if you're not in a hurry, VirtualBox 7.0.12 is expected to be released around 2023-10-17 (next week).

But the general rule applies anyway: No backup, no mercy! ;)
spiperman957

Post by spiperman957 »

But the general rule applies anyway: No backup, no mercy! ;)
Amen! If I didn't have my backups :D - I'd have lost so much work when the system crash happened...

Thanks for the info for 7.0.12. I can wait. So far, I'm just backing up to the NAS every day until things settle down.
I will report back on this after installing 7.0.12.
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

Hm, on my system, the UBSAN errors aren't gone with Vbox 7.0.12 and kernel 6.5.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I'd suggest to create a ticket in the Bugtracker then.

Edit:
towo2099 created ticket #21877.
Last edited by fth0 on 4. Dec 2023, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
towo2099
Volunteer

Post by towo2099 »

I would do that, if i could login to the bugtracker.
towo2099
Volunteer

Post by towo2099 »

Now i could login and create a ticket.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

towo2099, if you're still having trouble getting on the Bugtracker:

go to www.Virtualbox.org

click the "Login" link on the upper right.

enter your usual forum credentials on the Oracle SSO.

go to the Bugtracker.

If you've never logged in on virtualbox.org before, you may have to pick a nickname for the site. Feel free to try your forum nickname.
spiperman957

Post by spiperman957 »

Hi All - Just providing an update on this. I am also with @towo2099 - the UBSAN error continues. I did have some improvement with release 7.0.12 r159484. The reboot (versus restart) error seems to have resolved but I have no why the update made a difference. Also, the 30 second + boot and shutdown hang was significant;y improved (fixed?) by removing and reinstalling my nvidia drivers (purge followed by autoremove, then install from command line using the nvidia repo). I was reading about generic things that cause the system to hang and since I had just rebuilt my system, the video drivers were a "possibility" that turned out to be a good idea. I'll keep following this and update with changes.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If video drivers are involved, you might get a temporary workaround if you have 3D Acceleration enabled in the VM: try turning 3D Acceleration off temporarily.

Also, please post a VM log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
pw2

Post by pw2 »

I get the error shown above on the host computer around the time that Kubuntu 22.04 is booting up.

This happens on a Dell Precision laptop which happens to have an Nvidia P3000 which may or may not be properly set up with Kubuntu 22.04 (probably not set up (I did a clean install of the OS and took any defaults and didn't purposely install any nvidia video card drivers)) -- I get the vbox error shown above with 7.0.12 and 7.0.14 -- I don't think it happened with 7.0.6

The error above does not occur on a Dell Latitude which only has the default Intel video card.

Thanks,
-pw
Grumbler

Post by Grumbler »

I had the same problem in Neon. It seems to be gone after a kernel update
to 6.5.0-17-generic #17~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Jan 16 14:32:32 UTC 2
Grumbler

Post by Grumbler »

Grumbler wrote: 7. Feb 2024, 19:54 I had the same problem in Neon. It seems to be gone after a kernel update
to 6.5.0-17-generic #17~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Jan 16 14:32:32 UTC 2
Forget it. It's back after another reboot. Strange.