Old mac in Virtualbox on new mac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
aa33kk

Old mac in Virtualbox on new mac

Post by aa33kk »

Hi. I currently use a iMac Mini with macOS Venture. I have some older software that I ran on my previous Mac that I would like to use that won't run on my new machine. Can I set up a VM in VirtualBox to run my older version of macOS X. I was using macOS elCapitan. Thanks for help.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Old mac in Virtualbox on new mac

Post by granada29 »

If your current Mac is an Intel machine then the answer is yes - it will run El Capitan under VirtualBox using Ventura.

However, if your current Mac is an M1/M2 then this is not possible. See viewtopic.php?t=107344
aa33kk

Post by aa33kk »

And is not possible to run in UTM?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You'd really have to ask the UTM folks that one. We tend to be somewhat Virtualbox-centric around here for some reason... :D
aa33kk

Post by aa33kk »

scottgus1 wrote: 1. Oct 2023, 00:45 You'd really have to ask the UTM folks that one. We tend to be somewhat Virtualbox-centric around here for some reason... :D
Very sorry sir. My stupidity.

I read on the Internet...
Oracle does have beta version of VirtualBox for Apple Silicon. The version *"can run some guest operating systems for Intel x86/x64 CPUs in an emulation"
Is true?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

aa33kk wrote: 7. Oct 2023, 22:00Is true?
See Granada29's posted link.
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@aa33kk

If you want to test the progress of the macOS/ARM Beta builds then they are available on the 'Test Builds' page: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds. You will have to regularly check for newer builds, but manual installation/updates on macOS versions that now use Apple's Hypervisor is straightforward, and there is no need to make any alterations to the macOS security settings.

The Test builds do receive regular updates but the last time I checked performance, the best I could achieve was a working version of WindowsXP (32-bit) on which MS Office and Lotus Smartsuite of a matching vintage ran satisfactorily, but this was around 2 months ago and I haven't tried any of the more recent updates to test for any improvement. I didn't test any Linux VMs at that time as I saw little point in seeking out 10-15 year old 32-bit Linux installers/software.

The main developers of alternative virtualisation software for Mac i.e. Parallels, VMWare Fusion, provide so-called 'universal' Mac applications, which do install on both Intel 64-bit and macARM ('M Series') processors but if you read their guidance/advice carefully you will see that what they aim to support is limited to x32/x64 bit virtual machines on Intel Macs and ARM-based virtual machines on M1/2 Series Macs, i.e. no support for Intel emulation on ARM. UTM provides similar virtualisation support to that available from Parallels and VMWare, but also supports a level of CPU emulation with QEMU assistance, but this not really effective/recommended for running any OS which needs the performance of a 'relatively modern' Intel CPU so, if even you could install, say, Windows 7 onwards there is likely to be an increasingly evident performance hit.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

multiOS wrote: 8. Oct 2023, 00:32 The Test builds do receive regular updates
FWIW, the VirtualBox test builds page contains VirtualBox 7.0.11 test builds and VirtualBox 7.0.97 development snapshots. While the former only contain bugfixes, only the latter contain the current advances in functionality, so it only makes sense to try the latter.