A couple of crashes due to the SHCLIP thread in guest Win 11.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ElMaSkA007
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 11, Fedora 38, RHEL 8 and Ubuntu 22.04.2

A couple of crashes due to the SHCLIP thread in guest Win 11.

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Hello experts.

In less than a week I have experienced a couple of crashes and in both I have been able to observe that the thread SHCLIP suffered a crash always appears. I attach logs.

This has already happened to me in the past and that is why I opened a thread in which I was given some alternative workaround (thread named "Windows 10 guest crash unexpectedly on host macOS Monterey 12.6.1 and VBox 7.0.2"):

Code: Select all

Key: GUI/HidLedsSync, Value: 0
Key: GUI/LastCloseAction, Value: PowerOff
Key: GUI/LastGuestSizeHint, Value: 1920,1000
Key: GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition, Value: 1792,93,640,507,max
Key: GUI/LastScaleWindowPosition, Value: 400,222,640,480
Key: GUI/RestrictedRuntimeDevicesMenuActions, Value: HardDrives
Key: GUI/RestrictedRuntimeMachineMenuActions, Value: SaveState,PowerOff
Key: GUI/ScaleFactor, Value: 1
Key: GUI/StatusBar/IndicatorOrder, Value: HardDisks,OpticalDisks,FloppyDisks,Network,USB,SharedFolders,Display,VideoCapture,Features,Mouse,Keyboard
It is very clear that the problem continues to persist and the developers have not found a solution to it...

This should be considered something to take into account and a priority, if you experience a crash in your VM several times and for the same reason Virtualbox is not very trustworthy. In fact, I am already considering migrating to other virtualization solutions.

Best regards.
2023-09-26-17-20-41-bugreport.txt.zip
Crash VM guest Win 11
(93.1 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: A couple of crashes due to the SHCLIP thread in guest Win 11.

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the log. I don't see any crashes in it. How did this "crash" manifest itself during this run of the VM?

I'm not sure what this snippet of info is supposed to show?
ElMaSkA007 wrote: 26. Sep 2023, 19:37

Key: GUI/HidLedsSync, Value: 0
Key: GUI/StatusBar/IndicatorOrder, Value: HardDisks,OpticalDisks,FloppyDisks,Network,USB,SharedFolders,Display,VideoCapture,Features,Mouse,Keyboard
The log does show some failures to share the clipboard:
00:28:41.649273 Shared Clipboard: Signalling host about guest clipboard data failed with VERR_NOT_FOUND
What exactly were you trying to share through the clipboard? And was it host to VM or VM to host? Have you granted Virtualbox permission to use the clipboard in the host Mac OS?

There are also a lot of the VM flatlining:
02:45:58.402673 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 9 seconds ago
02:45:58.409445 VMMDev: GuestHeartBeat: Guest is alive (gone 10 003 818 782 ns)
Did the VM or the host go to sleep for a while?
ElMaSkA007 wrote: 26. Sep 2023, 19:37 This should be considered something to take into account and a priority,
The driving force for Virtualbox development is the paying Oracle customers, not the free users like you and me. If there's enough Mac-using paying customers who don't just go get the Apple Store's provisions, and really want to step out of the Apple box, and why would they do that when Apple gives them such a nice box to live in, then the devs will get financing to fix the problem, if in fact there is a problem to fix, and it's not one user's way of using their Mac that isn't foreseen.

Apple really changed the paradigm by forcing no more kexts and imposing their hypervisor engine. This is giving the devs headaches trying to come up with ways to restore things that Apple won't let them do anymore. Apple and the devs are reported to be working on it, though.
ElMaSkA007 wrote: 26. Sep 2023, 19:37 I am already considering migrating to other virtualization solutions.
I see your "I'm leaving" and I raise you a "That might be best". Life is too short and tenuous to get frustrated over a program you paid nothing for, on a computer that costs way too much. Virtualbox will be unstable trying to get into Apple's smaller box for a while. You might try again around 7.0.30, or maybe wait to around 7.1.30, when plenty of time has been had to figure out Apple's restrictions. Parallels and Fusion are available.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the 2023-09-26-17-20-41-bugreport.txt file, the Shared Clipboard error occurs first (multiple times). The heartbeat issues begin occurring nearly an hour later, so it's not clear if there is a connection.

I've seen both issues being reported a few times, but I don't know any real findings helping to reproduce the issues at will. (This doesn't necessarily mean that the VirtualBox developers also cannot reproduce it, though.)
ElMaSkA007
Guest OSses: Windows 11, Fedora 38, RHEL 8 and Ubuntu 22.04.2

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Hi scottgus1 and fth0.

Thank you for your response.

The reason why I have put that snippet is the output of the command "VBoxManage getextradata "Windows 11"", to show the recommendation in the thread I put in the past "viewtopic.php?t=107794" and that fth0 asked me before with his thread "viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104190&p=507556#p507556".

Also, I want to provide more information since I copied the entire dump from Apple's error report (see attachment) and there is the same trace that was given in the past (see thread viewtopic.php?t=107794):

Thread 14 Crashed:: SHCLIP
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	    0x7ff8181ce1e2 __pthread_kill + 10
1   libsystem_pthread.dylib       	    0x7ff818205ee6 pthread_kill + 263
2   libsystem_c.dylib             	    0x7ff81812cb45 abort + 123
3   libc++abi.dylib               	    0x7ff8181c0282 abort_message + 241
4   libc++abi.dylib               	    0x7ff8181b23fb demangling_terminate_handler() + 267
5   libobjc.A.dylib               	    0x7ff817e867ca _objc_terminate() + 96
6   libc++abi.dylib               	    0x7ff8181bf6db std::__terminate(void (*)()) + 6
7   libc++abi.dylib               	    0x7ff8181bf696 std::terminate() + 54
8   VBoxRT.dylib                  	       0x10b905c3c 0x10b7f5000 + 1117244
9   VBoxRT.dylib                  	       0x10b9c1ab8 0x10b7f5000 + 1886904
10  libsystem_pthread.dylib       	    0x7ff8182061d3 _pthread_start + 125
11  libsystem_pthread.dylib       	    0x7ff818201bd3 thread_start + 15
I think it is clear that the crash is reproduced since the same component that fails is shown and it is the SHCLIP, showing the same signature.

Answering your questions scottgus1:
  • What exactly were you trying to share through the clipboard? - At the time of the crash it was not transferring anything through the clipboard.
  • And was it host to VM or VM to host? - The previous answer answers this one as well.
  • Have you granted Virtualbox permission to use the clipboard in the host Mac OS? - All permissions are enabled.
  • Did the VM or the host go to sleep for a while? - The VM never went to sleep, in fact while I was working I saw the crash.
I agree that the driving force to solve these problems is Oracle customers who put up the money. But I think you'll agree that if a problem is reproduced (even randomly and not consistently), it's worthy of serious follow-up, don't you think so?

It's good to know that there are good developers who continue to solve the entire changing paradigm that Apple has put on the table.

I really value your work and the dedication that the community is doing, I would not like to get rid of the use that I give to Virtualbox because I have been using it for many years and I really like it, but I have to say that it is time to evaluate other more stable solutions for environments of work.

Best regards.
Apple Report Crash VM Win 11.txt
Apple crash report
(102.38 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

ElMaSkA007 wrote: 26. Sep 2023, 23:41 it is time to evaluate other more stable solutions for environments of work.
If one is jammed into a corner then one has to do what one has to do.
ElMaSkA007 wrote: 26. Sep 2023, 23:41 if a problem is reproduced (even randomly and not consistently)
A randomly manifesting problem isn't reproduced. It just shows up of itself. A reproducible procedure to make the problem happen, which is posted on the Bugtracker with sufficient data to show the devs how to make it happen too, will go a long way towards getting the problem solved. If this hasn't happened yet, then the devs won't have enough to solve this.

Note please that the info has to go on the Bugtracker. The devs don't have time to read the forum regularly; it's quite likely they have not seen this or your other topics.
ElMaSkA007 wrote: 26. Sep 2023, 23:41 it's worthy of serious follow-up, don't you think so?
When the devs can reproduce it, they'll follow it up. And they report that they are following up with some reproducible bugs, such as Ventura requiring 7.0 to be run via sudo to see USB devices.

Personally I can do no more with debugging this problem, will have to leave the forum gurus to look into it if they can.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, I have nothing to add.