Win XP USB 3 error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Exorcist

Win XP USB 3 error

Post by Exorcist »

I wanted to add USB 3 support to my XP machine,
I did this:

Download file Chipset_Driver_GVT5M_WN_3.0.23.0_A00.EXE from https://www.dell.com/support/home/en/en ... erid=gvt5m
Select USB-3.0-Controller (xHCI) in your VM USB configuration
Start Guest Windows Xp
Run the downloaded file and choose unzipping
Klick the button to open the folder with the unzipped files (...\Dell\drivers\Chipset_Driver_GVT5M_WN_3.0.23.0_A00)
Run RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-setup.exe to install the driver
Shut down the Guest
Open a DOS box and insert
"<YourDriveLetter>:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata NameOfVM VBoxInternal/Devices/usb-xhci/0/Config/ChipType uPD720201

But when I wanted start Xp machine again I got this error:

xHCI configuration error: The "ChipType" value "μPD720201" is unsupported (VERR_PDM_DEVINS_UNKNOWN_CFG_VALUES).

E_FAIL (0x80004005)

ConsoleWrap

IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Now -
- why did I got this error ?
- how can I revert changes to working state ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win XP USB 3 error

Post by mpack »

Exorcist

Post by Exorcist »

I was able to revert to function state, but I´m sorry I did not find answers to my other questions there.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I wonder if the Dell drivers supported the uPD720201. There is a note in the tutorial:
Note that the drivers must support the uPD720201/202 chip, not the older uPD720200 or uPD720200A.
There could have been a typo in your entering of the command, too:
VBoxManage setextradata <vmname> VBoxInternal/Devices/usb-xhci/0/Config/ChipType uPD720201
Exorcist wrote: 21. Sep 2023, 15:29 xHCI configuration error: The "ChipType" value "μPD720201" is unsupported
Your error message has the "micro" symbol instead of a lowercase u.

Be sure you're Starting the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Try it all again, please, and if an error happens, please post these:

Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)

Also, Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
Exorcist

Post by Exorcist »

scottgus1 wrote: 22. Sep 2023, 13:05 ... Your error message has the "micro" symbol instead of a lowercase u.
OMG, I´m dumb :oops: , this was the problem. I thought it is micro symbol not lowercase "u" :idea: .

Now it works. Many thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Post by FranceBB »

I'm commenting here to let you guys know that the guide you wrote here should be updated once again: viewtopic.php?p=541295&sid=0597a62e782e ... 59#p541295

Essentially, the RENESAS drivers not only are unstable but they're no longer needed as Windows XP 32bit can use the standard Microsoft xHCI drivers for USB 3.0 just like newer OS and it's much more stable.
Screenshot from 2023-10-16 07-49-55.png
Screenshot from 2023-10-16 07-49-55.png (20.46 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
I was trying to attach it here but I couldn't 'cause it's too large, anyway here's the driver:
(mod edit, removed link to copyrighted software)
Last edited by scottgus1 on 16. Oct 2023, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: had to remove link to copyrighted software
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm sorry, FranceBB, I had to remove your file-sharing link to Microsoft's drivers, which are copyrighted and therefore possibly not legal to file-share.

If you can post a link to Microsoft's website where these drivers can be found, then we might be able to go with that.

Also, can you please present evidence that the Renesas drivers are unstable? This is the first I've heard of it despite the tutorial recommending Renesas being public for 8 years.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I would certainly appreciate a hint as to where to find this driver, because it would be a great find if it existed... but I can't think of any reason for it to exist, unless it was part of very long term XP support.

I'm also puzzled about the term "xHCI support". AFAIK what you need is specific support for the Intel xHCI chipset. And since XPDM compatible drivers for that Intel chipset were never available from Intel, I wonder why Microsoft drivers would exist. MS too are not famous for making it easy for you to stick to obsolete Windows versions.

Googling turns up a lot of non-MS sites that I don't trust, and a lot of old MS sites saying such drivers don't exist. So as mentioned, I'd like a pointer.

@Scottgus: if this was a link to a Microsoft site and we link to the MS site page then IMO there's no problem. It's only if someone else was distributing it without authority and we linked to that, we'd have a problem.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

mpack wrote: 16. Oct 2023, 14:52 @Scottgus: if this was a link to a Microsoft site
It was a "mega.nz" file sharing/upload site.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yup, that's a problem.
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

Post by FranceBB »

scottgus1 wrote: 16. Oct 2023, 13:47 I'm sorry, FranceBB, I had to remove your file-sharing link to Microsoft's drivers, which are copyrighted and therefore possibly not legal to file-share.
That's absolutely fine, I took it down from my own mega account as well just to be sure as I don't wanna get in trouble.
scottgus1 wrote: 16. Oct 2023, 13:47 If you can post a link to Microsoft's website where these drivers can be found, then we might be able to go with that.
I'm trying to find it but I can't find anything public and on a second look the date is 2018 when general XP support was already over and only Microsoft Premier support was available, so yeah, it very much looks like this was leaked from someone who actually purchased the Premier support. Thank you for letting me know this, I initially shared it out of my good will 'cause a friend of mine sent it over, but looking at it I might have very well been in trouble for this.

scottgus1 wrote: 16. Oct 2023, 13:47 Also, can you please present evidence that the Renesas drivers are unstable?
blue screens, mostly, from my own personal experience. I've been using the renesas driver for a very long time on Virtualbox. It's mostly ok, however on some devices it occasionally caused bluescreen, so much so that I ended up reverting to the USB 2.0, which is why when I saw a new driver I immediately tried with USB 3.0 again.
mpack wrote: 16. Oct 2023, 14:52 I would certainly appreciate a hint as to where to find this driver, because it would be a great find if it existed... but I can't think of any reason for it to exist, unless it was part of very long term XP support.

[...]

MS too are not famous for making it easy for you to stick to obsolete Windows versions.
Yes, the more I google the more I'm sure it was a Microsoft Premier support one from 2018 that got leaked from the Microsoft Enterprise Services updates and shouldn't be anywhere close to this forum for all the right reasons (and also 'cause I don't wanna be in trouble).
Thank you guys for pointing it out immediately, I owe you one.