I have a question about virtual networking

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Ulutin

I have a question about virtual networking

Post by Ulutin »

ok thx
Attachments
Adsız.png
Adsız.png (56.91 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
Last edited by Ulutin on 3. Sep 2023, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I have a question about virtual networking

Post by scottgus1 »

You seem to be setting up something similar to "Sandbox", see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: "Sandbox".

The way to test Virtualbox's network is to ping between the VMs and the host, etc. If ping works, then the Virtualbox network is working, and further configuration must be made in the OS's inside the VMs.

Note that some firewalls, such as Windows Firewall, disable ping responses. For Windows firewall, you have to enable ICMP Echo Request.
Ulutin wrote: 3. Sep 2023, 00:34 I have a network appliance (let's say host-1) which has internet access via a bridged interface. ... I am told that I need to write a static route on my physical computer
Bridged goes around the host OS and puts the VM out on the LAN as a separate PC.(see the Bridged section in the tutorial above.) So your host OS won't need a route to get the host-1 VM on the internet or access other LAN services.

Can host-1 and host-2 ping each other? Can host-1 and the router ping each other? If so, the Virtualbox networks are working.

It is most likely that host-1 VM needs to provide the route or a router service for the host-only network to host-2.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Ulutin, you have vandalized your post. This post is not your property. Once posted, contents are the property of the community. You will be banned if you do not return the contents that were originally posted.

I have locked the post to prevent you from further vandalizing it. Re-post the original contents in a new post here and I will restore it. If you do not comply within 12 hours you will be permanently banned.

FWIW 192.168.#.# IP addresses behind a decent network router are not hackable, unless one is indiscreet enough to also post port numbers of open ports, services at those ports, usernames and passwords. And FWIW2 open ports are already known and being pen-tested as we speak by the bad guys already on the web. Concern over your question's contents as I remember them and the picture are unfounded.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Ulutin has not made an attempt to restore the vandalized post with the specified time, and more than specified, nor has PM'd to make the attempt to fix the vandalism. Ulutin is banned for forum vandalism.