still 10.14.6 Mojave and VB 6.1.46a - still not running

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
supervisitor

still 10.14.6 Mojave and VB 6.1.46a - still not running

Post by supervisitor »

Last week I update my macOS to 10.14.6 Mojave (new install, coming from last of 10.13).
Since then I try to install VB... and check many tips and tricks from the net, because it is still not working! :(
  • I add the VB Dev. ID to system policy (spctl).
  • add the 4 kext's to system policy
  • I dis-/en-able master and check many time the status.
  • I en-/dis-able SIP (csrutil) in recovery mode...
When I set the system in good condition (master + SIP enabled), I get the following error: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 21.58.10.png
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 21.58.10.png (38.81 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
And when I check "kextstat | grep -v com.apple" I see not the 4 I expect: VBoxDrv.kext, VBoxNetAdp.kext, VBoxNetFlt.kext, VBoxUSB.kext.

When I disable system policy master (spctl --master-disable) no change of behavior!

When I disable SIP in recovery mode and reboot... then VB is working fine! kextstat is showing the 4 kext's, no errors when starting machines...

(Remark: Ok, this is the result of a now paranoid company that wants to protect the operating system from administrators and only allow what it thinks is right... all by breaking down and bypassing BSD's security mechanisms in the past and now constructing and implementing maddening ones to protect its users from themselves.)

All the errors depends on the kext's, so what is wrong with this? But what is the reason that they are not accepted to load when SIP is enabled??? In system.log is nothing about kext or vbox, I found only success informations in install.log?
(Lulu, a small application firewall with kernel driver... I install, is working fine! What knows this developer more to do it right?)

One more Tip? :wink:
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: still 10.14.6 Mojave and VB 6.1.46a - still not running

Post by granada29 »

There should be NO need to disable SIP to install the Oracle kexts. Please enable SIP then work through the steps listed in:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=102118#p496626

Should this fail, then disable SIP, run the VirtualBox uninstall script, then re-enable SIP. I am not sure if it is possible to remove kexts that were installed with SIP disabled unless SIP is still disabled. Please make sure SIP is once again enabled before re-trying the installation.

Yes - it is a painful process, but one that is no longer required with VirtualBox 7.x.x