Issue with setting up VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ChrisxSaurav

Issue with setting up VirtualBox

Post by ChrisxSaurav »

Hello,

So I had to reinstall Fedora for some reason and I wanted to reinstall VirtualBox on my machine, but it has been giving me a bunch of problems so far.

I originally get this problem when trying to open an image:

```
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
as root.
If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT
```

So I try running `/sbin/vboxconfig` in my terminal, which doesn't run but instead gives me this specific message:

```
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
egrep: warning: egrep is obsolescent; using grep -E
vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-setup.log to find out what went wrong.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
/sbin/vboxconfig
as root. If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
```

I try looking at /var/log/vbox-setup.log, but I'm lost because it's too big. A bunch of solutions from the internet didn't work, so help would be appreciated, thank you very much.

I'll also note that my VirtualBox was working fine the last time I ran it, but once I rebooted, I got this error.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Issue with setting up VirtualBox

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org has prerequisites on Linux hosts, please see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq

You may also need to upgrade to the newest test builds or development snapshots to handle new Linux kernels.