VirtualBox causes BSOD when I plug in USB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
johnwmreed

VirtualBox causes BSOD when I plug in USB

Post by johnwmreed »

Hyper-V is closed
VirtualBox causes BSOD when I plug in USB: Stop code: PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR
It only does this when VirtualBox is running
It does this even when I have removed all guests, so it looks like it is a host not a guest problem
I tried to add a minidump file to this request, but get message: Invalid file extension: 082223-8593-01.dmp

I would appreciate any help :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox causes BSOD when I plug in USB

Post by scottgus1 »

It appears there is an unusual incompatibility between the Virtualbox USB Filter driver and your host OS & apps. This is uncommon, so it is likely some 3rd-party software on your host OS which also tries to affect USB.

Look around for any such 3rd-party apps.

Also, try reinstalling Virtualbox:
  1. Uninstall Virtualbox and reboot.
  2. Go to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers", look for any files called 'Vbox*.sys' (there could be up to 5) and delete them.
  3. Reboot again.
  4. If you have any 3rd-party security or anti-malware software, disable the living daylights out of it for a moment.
  5. Reinstall Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator.
johnwmreed

Post by johnwmreed »

I followed your instructions carefully.
After reinstalling Virtualbox, but before starting it, I checked my USB connection. It was fine.
Then using the program, Startup Delayer, I stopped all 3rd party apps that I loaded on startup.
I Started Virtualbox (no guests reloaded)and checked my USB connection: BSOD. :(
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

That's a bummer. As a workaround, if you don't need Virtualbox USB Filters, you can go through the process again and reinstall Virtualbox with the USB Filters option turned off. See if that avoids the BSOD.

As for what is causing the problem, I wouldn't know what to guess now. Unless that Startup Delayer missed something.
johnwmreed

Post by johnwmreed »

My main motivation for installing VirtualBox in the first place was for the USB connection (a long story). I failed trying to get USB to work with a Hyper-V VM.
If it is possible to boot into Safe Mode, start VirtualBox (but not try to run any guests), I could add my startup programs one at a time - checking my USB connection each time.
What do you think about that option:?:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Safe Mode may stop extra drivers from starting. It may not let Virtualbox load itself fully, and the test may not work. On the other hand, it could work perfectly as a test and couldn't hurt to try.

I think you may need to think about what each app does and find/disable any of them that may possibly affect USB. 3rd-party security apps, etc. Wireshark, for example, apparently has the ability to scan USB traffic.
johnwmreed

Post by johnwmreed »

Safe Mode did not work.
I opened Programs and Features, and searched on the word USB.
I found several programs that might be the problem.
Electronic Team, Inc. program: USB Network Gate for Windows was the cause of the problem.
I uninstalled it, and now I can open VirtualBox, plug in USB devices and no BSOD occurs.
Problem solved.
Thanks for the help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.
Balu_Erl
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by Balu_Erl »

Hello Everybody,
I have the same problem. I get a Blue Screen if I plug in any USB device into any USB Port of the computer. I am using Virutal Box Version 7.0.14 r161095 (Qt5.15.2). I get a Blue Screen as soon as the Virtual Box has been started and a USB device (e.g. memory stick,..) will be pluged in. A running VM ist not necessary. The Blue Screen error message is: PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR. In this thread there a mentioned some remedies, but all of them did not work in my case. I hope you can help me.
Last edited by Balu_Erl on 27. May 2024, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
Evgenij
Guest OSses: 7.0.18

Post by Evgenij »

Hi, the same is happening to me since one week.
Have tried with complete new installation (windows10/windows11, newest driver etc.), nothing helps.
Screenshot 2024-05-25 145708.png
Screenshot 2024-05-25 145708.png (44.19 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Same hardware was working fine for about 4 monthes:
CPU: AMD 7950X3D
Motherboard: MSI MPG B650 CARBON
RAM: 64GB G.Skill F5-6000J3040G32G
GPU: Gigabyte RTX4090 GAMING OC + EK-Quantum Vector²

This OS was installed yesterday!!

Additional Info:

I downgraded VirtualBox from 7.0.18 to 7.0.14 and, unlike Balu_Erl, the error seems to have disappeared for me. I have not downgraded the guest editions, so I have no idea what the problem is related to. Maybe the problem is not fixed at all, but shifted and will occur again in the next days/hours...
Last edited by Evgenij on 25. May 2024, 18:45, edited 2 times in total.
ambreerose

Post by ambreerose »

Balu_Erl wrote: 24. May 2024, 11:29 Hello Everybody,
I have the same problem. I get a Blue Screen if I plug in any USB device into any USB Port of the computer. I am using Virutal Box Version 7.0.14 r161095 (Qt5.15.2).download lagu I get a Blue Screen as soon as the Virtual Box has been started and a USB device (e.g. memory stick,..) will be pluged in. A running VM ist not necessary. The Blue Screen error message is: PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR. In this thread there a mentioned some remedies, but all of them did not word in my case. I hope you can help me.
USB issues causing a blue screen can be tricky. Have you tried updating your USB drivers and ensuring VirtualBox extensions are up to date? Sometimes, reinstalling VirtualBox can also help. Hopefully, someone here can offer a more specific solution. :D
Evgenij
Guest OSses: 7.0.18

Post by Evgenij »

Now the error has occurred with version 7.0.18 as well as with 7.0.14, both on Windows 10 and Windows 11.
Something seems to be broken in the virtualbox usb functionality. For example, after installing Virtualbox, one of the internal USB hubs on the board is no longer recognized correctly/the driver cannot be started. The problem can be solved by uninstalling Virtualbox and all associated drivers (preferably by reinstalling).
1716719248074.png
I will not be using Virtualbox for the time being. Hopefully the cause of the error will be found and fixed soon. Otherwise I will have to switch to another platform.
Last edited by Evgenij on 26. May 2024, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Balu_Erl

Post by Balu_Erl »

@ambreerose
Yes all my USB drivers are updated and what are "virtualbox extensions"? How can i check them? Yes i reinstalled the Oracle VBox several time also with different versions. :-(
I have the same problem as Evgenij. I checked the dump files and the reason of the blue screen is the VBoxUSBMon.sys driver
BlueScreen.png
BlueScreen.png (50.45 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
I think there could be a general problem with the USB-driver of Oracle :(
Last edited by Balu_Erl on 28. May 2024, 13:02, edited 3 times in total.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Forget about the extension pack hint. USB functionality is entirely part of the VirtualBox base package since 7.0. It must be something specific to "your" (of course not meant literally, hardware is mass produced and there should be nothing personal about it) system. It might have an unusual USB controller driver which has compatibility issues.
Balu_Erl

Post by Balu_Erl »

klaus wrote: 28. May 2024, 18:32 Forget about the extension pack hint. USB functionality is entirely part of the VirtualBox base package since 7.0. It must be something specific to "your" (of course not meant literally, hardware is mass produced and there should be nothing personal about it) system. It might have an unusual USB controller driver which has compatibility issues.
I don't think so. I've been this behavior only for 3 weeks. The month before the system ran smoothly. Something happened or went wrong and I don't know what. Do you see any chances to solve this problem.