Windows 7 VM, Asked to Change Password

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Daveyk021

Windows 7 VM, Asked to Change Password

Post by Daveyk021 »

I've been using a Windows 7 VM for about a year now. Every now and then it asked me to change my password (My other Windows 7 computers have never asked that, just the VM Windows 7).

So I type the current one, then the new one twice, very precisely.

Then it asks me for my password and tells me it is wrong.

I have no idea what to do. I have used the task manager to shut down oracle so that Windows 7 would want to go to repair mode, and it doesn't, just Safe mode or Normal boot (I have seen what to do if I can get to Windows 7 repair mode and I can not seem to get there with the VM).

So, now, I don't know what to do. I don't want to have to use another license to build a new Windows 7 VM. Hell, right now, I couldn't even find the one I used, probably.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 7 VM, Asked to Change Password

Post by scottgus1 »

FWIW if you could find the old license and reinstalled the OS in the same VM, the license would still work because the "motherboard" of the VM (the UUIDs) was still the same.

However, Virtualbox does not have any control over the passwords in a VM (unless you made the VM using the Unattended Install option, which just came out in 7.0 and isn't a year old yet).

When you get yourself logged into the VM, or another similar VM, you can test the keyboard connection to the VM OS by typing into Notepad in the VM and checking that the VM OS gets the keys that you type. Also confirm that you haven't changed the keyboard country code in the VM OS. (The OS controls the keyboard country code, not Virtualbox.)

Also, you can web-search how to clear the password in Windows 7. The same process will work in the VM that you'd do on a real PC.
Daveyk021

Post by Daveyk021 »

"Also, you can web-search how to clear the password in Windows 7. The same process will work in the VM that you'd do on a real PC."

I tried searching. It seems the solutions required are turning the computer off and not letting windows shut down normally. Then you start in repair mode. If I use Windows 11 Task Manager to shut down the virtual machine, Windows 7 is not coming up in repair mode, but I do have the Safe/Normal mode start options.

This virtual machine is on one big database is it not? Its not like I can find the c:\Windows folder? If I could, I could change some stuff to let me possibly fix it.

What I do not understand is why it asked me to change my password. It's done that before and I always just change it to what it was and it was happy. This time it wanted something different. I very carefully typed in a PW with the center numbers one digit higher. It accepted it, but now will not let me in with that new one or the last one. It's password file corrupted apparently. I am stumped on that one.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The OS's asking to change the password is something that was set up inside the Windows 7 OS. It was not set up by Virtualbox. You'll have to look in Windows 7 to fix that.

I have not seen Windows 7 go into a Repair mode. I think that started in Windows 8. All I have ever seen is the Safe Mode/Normal Start question.

If Windows 7's "Repair mode" can fix the password problem, you could try booting the VM from the Windows 7 ISO or DVD, where the OS can be repaired.

Ultimately, password issues are not a Virtualbox problem. You have to ask Microsoft how to fix this.